In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Leather Holsters

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
Finally found a decent leather holster for my 1948 K-22.
Nothing fancy; a hand carved Hunter, but leather is in good shape as is the stitching and the fit is snug.
No cracks, but the leather does seem a bit stiff and dry.
Interested in any advice on how to treat the leather for durability and a bit less stiffness. (i.e. more supple?)
Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used this stuff years ago. Before I started using, Uncle Mike's nylon holsters. If you only going it on one holster, get it in the small plastic bottle. This outfit makes a whole range, of different leather care products.

410lsrnjVzL._AC_UL320_SR202,320_.jpg
  • Options
    yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pecards antique leather dressing works good too.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made this fully lined flapped holster for my model 53 Jet after it fell out of uncle Mike's on the third time.

With the flap open it will hold the pistol in place even with the holster inverted. Nothing fits like wet formed leather.

I used SnoSeal on the outside after a very light treatment with Mink Oil. I used a very light coat of mink hair dryer in on the inside followed with gun oil over top before closing the holster up.

charlieleather003_zps6d8eff18.jpg

charlieleather002_zps1ef390c9.jpg

charlieleather004_zpsab48a5f7.jpg

charlieleather001_zpseb0ec7ab.jpg

Added. Mine is cow leather I dyed black, +1/8" thick. Two layers rubber cemented together on the rough side. The flap is backed with thin goat hide also rubber cemented in place. 3 pieces of leather, all wet formed to the pistol. There is no metal contact with the pistol and the bottom is open. I still need to stitch it (double needle) up to finish the job. I also ordered today a can of Ballistol.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I made this fully lined flapped holster for my model 53 Jet after it fell out of uncle Mike's on the third time.

With the flap open it will hold the pistol in place even with the holster inverted. Nothing fits like wet formed leather.

I used SnoSeal on the outside after a very light treatment with Mink Oil. I used a very light coat of mink hair dryer in on the inside followed with gun oil over top before closing the holster up.

charlieleather003_zps6d8eff18.jpg

charlieleather002_zps1ef390c9.jpg

charlieleather004_zpsab48a5f7.jpg

charlieleather001_zpseb0ec7ab.jpg

Good looking holster Charlie. I like the way you cannibalized the hangers. So you can use it on any GI web belt.

Had the same problem with my first Uncle Mikes. It really gutted me, as the pistol that fell out. Was a minto 3rd issue Colt Woodsman, that I payed big bucks for.

Wised up with the Uncle Mike's, that I'm using now. Cut off and threw away the miserable strap. Fitted the holster with a mini bungee cord. It might look funny to the purists. But has held any pistol tight, when I looped it around the grip.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe, Charlie and yblockhead,
    appreciate the advice and also the pics of that old Smith in it's leather home.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pecard leather dressing from r. Dorsey, po 53, Dexter OR 09431-0053.
    He gave me a long talk on why this stuff is the only thing to soften and preserve leather.
    That K22 holster looks like horsehide.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for Pecard.