In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

410 vintage hammer guns

jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
Was there ever a vintage 410 hammer gun with 3" chambers? Say around 1933 or later. I can't stand the looks of these coach guns now.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie.
    Thank you very much for your information. I am looking for a 410 sxs hammergun with barrels at least 26" long tha ttakes 3" shells. Maybe it's a dream gun.
  • Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jerrywh818
    Charlie.
    Thank you very much for your information. I am looking for a 410 sxs hammergun with barrels at least 26" long tha ttakes 3" shells. Maybe it's a dream gun.

The CZ bobwhite meets all that, save the hammers...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can understand dreams. I like the exposed hammer on my 1906 Winchester as much as the smooth receiver on my 121 Remington. The real beauty of design is apparent when you experience a blown rim. Twice in 55 years of shooting.

If I wanted a double barrel hammered 410 I would consider building one. 375 blank rifle barrels could be reamed and outside turned to make 410 barrels. I would equip them with screw in choke tubes. Muzzleloader barrels in 36 or 40 cal. 13/16 or 7/8 octagon are available in 42" length could be an option.

CAD programs with CNC machining or 3D printing with LNA followed by lost wax casting to make scaled down receiver or make the barrels fit an existing 20 or 28 gauge side by side.

I had friends that made double rifles out of ruined 12 gauge sxs in both 45-70 and 30-30. Neither one worked out due to pressures but a 410 re-fit seems reasonable to me.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage did make their .22/.410 over/under in a .410/.410 o/u version. All of their o/u's are 3 inch chambers (I think). They are not common and pricey if you find one. I have seen double .410's hammer guns made in Europe (mostly Spain). Also, a couple of Brazil companies made them for the Indian natives: cheaply made but serviceable. Some were imported into the U.S. in the 1960's and prior.
    To the best of my knowledge, it is the thickness of the barrel when the chamber is lengthened that is the determining factor to rechamber a 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch safely. The locking mechanism is normally OK to rechamber.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charliemeyer007
    I do lost wax and have made double barrels totally brazed together but that seem like the hard way to go. I have a American gun co 410 with nitro barrels that is chambered for 2 1/2". If I chamber it for 3" I figure it will raise the pressure about 1000 psi. Those guns are not real strong otherwise. Do you think it would stand the pressure difference?
    I could make some 410 barrels out of another 410 with better steel.
    The thing is I am a Master gun engraver and make good money doing that. It just don't pay me to quit engraving and build a gun like that for fun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow can you post some pic's of your work? I love engraved stuff but I usually can't afford the luxury, however I do enjoy looking.

One of the few side x sides I really liked was a one off 32 gauge built by a German watchmaker. It was an under lever. As you moved the lever the barrels moved forward about 3/4" then pivoted to the side so you load the chambers. The external strikers were pulled back to cock, then the knob was pushed forward. It was plain jane but a true work of art for parts fit.

You can easily scale things in CAD and there are programs to convert the drawings into CNC code. There are places that rent time on machines.

I like hi temp silver solder over brazing if I'm at red heat anyway.

So I looked in my Lyman Shotshell loading book at 410 data. 3" ran from 9,000 to 11,600 lead units of pressure. 2 1/2" ran from 6,500 to 11,000 LUP.

A 45-70 can hold up to 1 1/8 oz. of shot if you load it correctly. In a smooth bore forager I think it would pattern nicely. Screw in chokes would be a nice option. I have a Mexican Small Ring Mauser in 45-70. It doesn't pattern well at all. I thought about making a screw on choke unit like the TC unit to fit the Cutts compensator.

I load my 45-350 Ackley with shot. I use the old TC 44 Shot capsules bushed out with a 410 power piston wad. The rifle has a really quick twist rate and the rifling are cut in parabolic profile. I think that the quick twist and the plastic slipping on plastic doesn't impart spin on the shot charge, so it patterns really well. I once got 9 grouse with 7 shots. I lined 2 pair of doubles up by kneeling on the ground, the rest were shot on the wing. The rifle has full peeps, I just used the front hood and removed the slide from the Lyman 48 rear. I think its about 2200 fps from the 18" barrel. The rifle loaded with the sling is 5.25#. Most people will only shoot it once with a full load under a big bullet.

added WOW!!! would more correct. thanks for posting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is a couple of examples of my engraving.
    These photos might be too big for this forum if the yare I will just post the URLs. I mostly specialize in 18th century stuff.
    jaeger-breech-super.jpg
    gr-in-whitbreach-engraved2.jpg