In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win. Model 52

vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello All,

Which Winchester Model 52 is typically used in shooting competition? Does it depend on a class? Thank you.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A-E were all used but as progressed they became single shot rifles with various accessories; hooked butt, palm rest, Olympic sights, speed lock, etc.

What are you planning to do?

A, B, C all came in sporter configurations, plus target models. The D & E only came in target configurations.
  • Options
    vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a greenhorn and was looking at a Sporter and wasn't sure if it classified.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Van,
    Depends on the competition and maybe even local interpretations of the applicable rules.
    Find out where you'll be competing and get in touch with folks involved at that level.
    A 52 could be anything from ideal to simply not allowed, depending.
    The more information you can give us the more replies you'll get along with all kinds of great info. A very knowledgable crowd around here.
    Rob
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be aware there was a Model 52 sporter That was not made by the original Winchester but I think a remake made by browning a Winchester Sporter model 52 would be in the thousands of Dollars
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I shoot a heavy C and a heavy D in informal benchrest. The C shoots better.

Probably any version is legal for 3 position, but the heavys would be the best choice if you can handle the weight. The standard barrels are scary accurate too, though.

Bull barrels are rare and valuable.

Buy several versions and shoot what you can!
  • Options
    49 harley49 harley Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years back I used to shoot a 52B in BR-50 competition. Still have her, Bull-Barrel config. Always felt limited by the mechanical trigger and weight handicap, Just couldn't keep pace with the $ game. Others were spending the bigbucks on Time-Precision, Remington 40X, and countless others. Keep an eye out for 52C and up with pendulum trigger and newer. Big difference between 1-1/2 lb. and 2 oz.!! Best advice, try to keep it fun!! You'll find the most money will be spent on Eley, Federal UM1 and good ammo as the MOST important. Enjoy
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you mean by pendulum trigger? Are you referring to the Micro Motion trigger or one of the aftermarket triggers like the Canjar or Kenyon?