In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rebuilding 1903 Springfield forearm.

35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1918-vintage 1903 Springfield that was "sporterized", and the stock was cut off just ahead of the lower band. I've found one or two sources for the missing part of the forearm, and I'd like to at least attempt to replace the missing section. The prices of nice original stocks prevent me from replacing the whole works.

Having never attempted such a fix, would it be best to cut my stock off at the back of the band, or directly underneath it, drill both pieces, and connect them with a dowel and epoxy? Any suggestion would be much appreciated.[:)]

My '03, showing the cut:

cutstock_zpsodxdhzgu.jpg

The part I'm looking at, to replace the missing section:

w15329.jpg
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Comments

• Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Directly underneath the band, drill, dowel, epoxy.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will, of course, need the over-the-barrel part, too. The "hand guard".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    You will, of course, need the over-the-barrel part, too. The "hand guard".

Oh, definitely. The handguard on it now is a foot short too.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to give us the SN of your rifle before you get too far into this.

Neal

EDIT: At least you know that your rifle is in the "safe" range; i.e., above 800,000. You wouldn't want to attempt restoration of a rifle that is not safe to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    You might want to give us the SN of your rifle before you get too far into this.

Neal

845153, Springfield manufacture.

Bigoutside, I've seen some nice original examples in the $300-$800 range online. Me? I just want a stock I can use, and not worry about occasional dings and dents.

Dcs shooters, thanks for the link. That handguard will be perfect.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    What are they asking for an original stock?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    www.fultonarmory.com Handguard, 1903, USGI Walnut, New Old Stock, $20