In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any Colt experts here? help please

telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I'm in the process of possibly buying a Colt Bisley revolver in .44 Special. It has a serial number that is 6 digits long starting 165...

All that I can find in the Bluebook of gun values is a 1st Generation Bisley but this revolver looks a lot newer than that. It's in great shape.

Were there any other newer generation of that model and if so where might I go to look to check on year of manufacture and value? thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The BiSLEY was only made for a short period of Time all before WW II
    A factory letter if it comes back to be that yours is correct would add to value more than the cost of the letter with that said there is a limited number of Bisley collectors I have a nice example if you want picture double click on my user name and I will send you a picture
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the Blue Book, 165XXX, would date to the 1890's. Unless it has been stashed in somebodies sock drawer, likely it would show at least some wear.

Not likely a 120? year old target revolver, would not show a certain amount of wear. Unless it has been professionally restored.

A original condition Bisley, in cherry condition. Would be a very big buck collectors item nowadays. Unless you had a pro do a hands-on, to make sure it authentic and unrestored. I wouldn't be buying it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I knew how to post a pic here I would. Perry I sent you a reply. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It appears to have target sights on it. The bluing is shiny except for some wear near the muzzle. The grips are dark brown wood of some kind.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Bisley Colt SN 165xxx was made in 1896.
    http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup

.44 Special was introduced by Smith & Wesson in 1907 and it took several years for Colt to catch on.

It was quite common at one time to put new barrels and cylinders in old Colts. Skeeter Skelton was a big salesman for .44 Special conversions during the years that nobody was making new guns.

"Appears to have target sights?"
    Pretty easy to tell. A Bisley "flattop" with original target sights would be quite valuable even with caliber change.
    But it could just as easily gotten new sights when it got its new barrel and cylinder. King's or Smith & Wesson sights can be installed to look good on a SAA, but there are some guns retrofitted with blocky Micros, too.

So you are "in the process of possibly buying a heavily altered Colt Bisley revolver."
    Could still be attractive and fun, if the price is right.
  • Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    telohf :

Check your email .. sent you instructions on how to post pics here.

Good Luck !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WOW just freaking WOW! So I have talked to the son of the owner of this Bisley. This is from an estate and the owner had what appears to be aftermarket sights put on and then reblued. That would explain how good of shape it was in. The work was done by a gunsmith in Bend Oregon and looks to be top notch.

I will never understand how someone would take a rare pistol such as this that was made in 1896 and completely ruin it by putting your own sights on it and doing god knows what else. Just buy another pistol in that caliber instead of ruining a nice Colt worth about $2500.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like dude got inspired by Elmer Keith [:D]. Besides Bisley were "target" pistols. And back then it was just a "shooter" and not a "house payment".

I'd google the gunsmith and see if they're still around. Maybe they got info on the work.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by telohf
    WOW just freaking WOW! So I have talked to the son of the owner of this Bisley. This is from an estate and the owner had what appears to be aftermarket sights put on and then reblued. That would explain how good of shape it was in. The work was done by a gunsmith in Bend Oregon and looks to be top notch.

I will never understand how someone would take a rare pistol such as this that was made in 1896 and completely ruin it by putting your own sights on it and doing god knows what else. Just buy another pistol in that caliber instead of ruining a nice Colt worth about $2500.

That is something that is run across quite frequently across the board. Them guys were utilitarian's back then. If it did not suit you the way it was dressed, then dress it the way you want it. You see that frequently with Winchesters too. My late father had a quite rare Browning 16 gauge Auto-5 with the pushbutton safety. Like the last year they were Belgian made before the Sweet 16 came onto the scene. It had a 32 inch Super Full barrel with a bead sight. He had it drilled and tapped for a receiver sight back in the 1950's to hunt deer with, as he then lived in what was a shotgun only area. I have a Winchester 1892 that was made in 1895. Started life as a full length sporting rifle in 44WCF, with a round barrel. It is now a 20", 38 WCF with an Octagon barrel, with a button length magazine. It was given to my late grandfather in lou of rent money, and it is still in great shape, and shoots extremely well.

Best