In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1910 Mauser Magazine

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a little 1910 Mauser in 25 ACP at a recent gun show. Came with one original magazine. As expected, original magazines for this neat pistol cost +100.00 all day long. Numrich sells an aftermarket, looks like a Triple K product and after buying one, it doesn't fit well and when inserted won't cause (or allow) the slide to close. I've coe to not expect much from Triple K and thus far haven't been disappointed.

I'll assume I'm not the only one to have tried the Triple K. Am I wasting my time exchanging this thing, is there a "tweak" others have tried that works? The mag fits OK with the slide off, it operates the slide release - with the slide off. [?]

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the recent Triple K's,( The first ones, were made in Mexico ), I've bought have worked.

I've owned a couple of the 1914 Mauser's over the years. They are the 32 ACP caliber, big brother of your Model 1910.

The Mauser pocket pistols, have a strange internal mechanism. As inserting the magazine, causes the slide to be automatically released. Going into battery.

The mag should automatically trip, the slide release when inserted. Using a dial caliper, compare the original magazine to the Triple K. To see, if there are any obvious dimensional differences.

As it goes in, but doesn't trip the hold open latch. It appears to me, that the part of the mag that trips the hold open. Isn't long enough. I would send it back to Triple K. After contacting their customer service people first. They might be aware of the problem? And suggest a fix.

The heel type magazine latch on the Mauser's, have a very heavy spring. See if that is causing interference with the Triple K magazine. Preventing full insertion.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    My first pistol was a little 1910 Mauser sidelatch with the small safety, serno 3099 made in 1910 according to Mauser Jadgwaffen. It's a solid nickel mag that went up to serno 5000.

Don't be too hard on Triple K. They make one mag for the 1910 and there are three variations I'm aware of. The nickle solid, the blue with round holes, and the blue with elongated holes. Your serno will determine which one is correct for your pistol.

Triple K is actually a great magazine maker. Back when they custom made mags, I needed a couple for an Astra 1000s, carried by a Japanese pilot in WWII, and later captured by an American in the Korean War.
    Only a thousand of this model were produced in 1928, being an oddity as a 12 shot "Ruby" type .32 automatic. I sent Triple K the pistol and in two months they sent it and two perfectly functional magazines back to me.

Back to the Mauser mags, the three variations all have slight size differences and you don't have the most common. I have all the variations, but without the serno, your only option is to haunt gunshows and try the fit and function. If you know someone who has a copy of Roy Pender's MAUSER POCKET PISTOLS, it will show you the correct mag and all the variations.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try Sarco. They have drawers and bins full of oddball stuff. If they are willing to dig they might find one or more originals for you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. My 1910 is in the 225000 range - doesn't have the "Mauser" banner on the sideplate, not sure why and all is definitely original. The mag positively works the "hold open" at least when the slide is off. I notice the follower is flat and sits low, on the original it's flat but sits high. I saw the rear of the lips lost a little bluing when I slapped to seat the mag.

I wasn't aware of three styles of magazine, that may be the issue. The one it came with has 3 elongated slots, the Numrich had round holes. Looks like "ammoclip" has the slotted type.

BTW, I bought this pistol because it was the first gun I took apart and couldn't put back together as a kid. Having got it from his Occupation Army times my pop was none too pleased, never could find the safety lever. I have the 32 and it's a great little pistol.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    Thanks for the info. My 1910 is in the 225000 range - doesn't have the "Mauser" banner on the sideplate, not sure why and all is definitely original. The mag positively works the "hold open" at least when the slide is off. I notice the follower is flat and sits low, on the original it's flat but sits high. I saw the rear of the lips lost a little bluing when I slapped to seat the mag.

I wasn't aware of three styles of magazine, that may be the issue. The one it came with has 3 elongated slots, the Numrich had round holes. Looks like "ammoclip" has the slotted type.

BTW, I bought this pistol because it was the first gun I took apart and couldn't put back together as a kid. Having got it from his Occupation Army times my pop was none too pleased, never could find the safety lever. I have the 32 and it's a great little pistol.

The follower height, is controlled by the I.D. of the magazine lips. When I adjust the I.D. lip dimension, on .22 magazines. I use the round shank of drill, to separate them evenly.

First measure the I.D. of the lips on the original magazine. If that dimension on the Triple K mag is smaller? Use a drill shank with a larger diameter. To very carefully spread them apart.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

Edit: the magazines arrived, one will seat and feed but doesn't hold open on the last round. And it won't fire unless I push and hold the mag baseplate up against the frame. The other mag won't allow the slide to close. I guess these are going back, I'll have to bite the bullet for an original.

The follower height, is controlled by the I.D. of the magazine lips. When I adjust the I.D. lip dimension, on .22 magazines. I use the round shank of drill, to separate them evenly.

First measure the I.D. of the lips on the original magazine. If that dimension on the Triple K mag is smaller? Use a drill shank with a larger diameter. To very carefully spread them apart.

The factory original follower is two tiered, kind of difficult to describe - looks like a back to front silhouette of an old Volvo with a small square sitting on a larger square. Hopefully the ammoclip version works.