In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyman Tang Sight

vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hello All,

I picked up a Lyman tang sight that's stamped "WF". According to Stroebel's book it's for a Winchester Model 52. After viewing quite a few 52's here on GB, not one even has a tang to mount something so old let alone need on that type of target rifle. What am I missing? Thank you.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i bought a remington model 12 at auction. it came with a lyman tang site mounted on it. rear sight folds down, extends about an inch or better,only a small pin hole to look through (no larger disc as in pics i've seen), has an insert that folds forward, and is only stamped "lyman". on the sight end of the barrel, a sight is mounted that can be folded down to show just a bead, or folds up to give a "hooded" bead. i'm having some trouble finding a matching pic on the net, so was wondering if you've got some insight into rarity and value.
    thanks,
    bob
    p.s. in looking at more pics, mine has 2 screws in baseplate, forward, left and right, not in line.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was sighting in a 1916 vintage model 94 and forgotten what i thought I used to know LOL. I "thought" the Lyman # 2 (or is it 3? )tang sight had...1. elevation markings on the post. 2. some sort of elevation lock, and an audible click as one changed the elevation. Am I missing parts on the sight or missing my memory ?? Any info would be greatly appreciated....Thanks....Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am trying to put an Old Lyman 1A Tang sight on my 94 ( Pre Drilled holes from factory). The sight is off to my right when I look down it. Would someone please tell me how you fix it.

I can shim it but what would you use? I could sand it?

Rex
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to say. Factory miss stamps happened. Bubba stamped it himself to increase the value. Made up of parts by bubba.

post a pic.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It not only Stroebel. Stoeger's 1940 Shooter's Bible, has a Lyman sight section.

One of the Lyman sights they illustrate. Is the Model 103 tang sight. The ad notes it for the Winchester Model 52, along with other Winchester Models.

It was attached to the rifles cocking piece, by a male dovetail on the base of the sight. Either a special adapter with a female dovetail, was attached to the cocking piece. Or the cocking piece itself was machined for a female dovetail.

They must have been pretty rare? Never seen a 52 with a tang sight attached to the bolt. Only conventional receiver sights.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe for an early sporter model - the one that looks like a hunting rifle or boys rifle profile not like a target gun...

I suspect...

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As a matter of fact it is a 103. Right now it's 2 3/8" to the aperture. This thing would really be up there. Would you mind telling me what the other models are?

Did the early Sporters have a tang to mount to?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vandj1318
    As a matter of fact it is a 103. Right now it's 2 3/8" to the aperture. This thing would really be up there. Would you mind telling me what the other models are?

Did the early Sporters have a tang to mount to?

Stoeger's, (1940). Win. Models 90,52,61,62,64,92,94,53 & 55. Also certain Savage/Stevens and Marlin rifles.

I don't know much about early Win. Model 52's. Don't recall ever seeing one with a exposed tang.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm thinkin' Marlin or Stevens has the hole centers are at 1 1/2".
    Thanks for the info.