In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arisaka Type 99 Long Rifle I.D. and info needed

antne56antne56 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hi All,
I am new to the Military collecting game,Have been collecting mostly lever action rifles for many years.
I recently got the WW2 bug.

I have purchased a nice starter K98 and am now looking to add an Arisaka to my collection.
There is one fairly local to me that i am interested in and would like your input as far as Series,
completeness and possible ballpark on value. I dont want to lowball the seller , and i dont want to pay more then its worth.

From what i know it has a chrome bore, It has no aircraft wings,no monpod and no dust cover?
Not sure if these should parts be on this rifle or not?

The Mum is there, but seem to have file marks, possibly failed attempt to remove it?
I could not attach pictures for some reason, link to rifle.
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?26780-Arisaka-Type-99-Long-Rifle-I-D-and-info-needed
Thanks in advance to all.
Tony

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Henry,
    thanks I will try and setup the photo sharing accounts.
    Tony
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Only two versions of the 99 Long.
    Toyo Kogyo production 35th Series.
    Toriimatsu production No series.

Both should have anti-aircraft sights, monopod, and dustcover.

Not a commom gun, but not outrageously so. The anti-aircraft sights are different from the short 99, so the chances of you finding a set are about nil.

Value? I bought them before round eyes even knew what they were and no one could read the Kanji. I don't know what a fair price would be for the one you're looking at. Ask for his best price and you decide.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a bring back type 38 from uncle "Dutch". He was an occupation troop. He liked the rifle. Said it would clip weeds off as far as he could see. They (he and his buddies) shot it so much they couldn't hold the wood, helmet liners full - still shot good. He also said it was loaded with better "smokeless" powder than his Springfield.

Rifle isn't much to look at, but I'm glad it wasn't pointing at me.

When I was about 12, I had the chance to buy a mint pair of 6.5 and 7.7 for $5 each. Dad wouldn't let me, sadly.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a vast collection at one time, the chrome bore without the features you stated seems a bit strange. Chrome bores were eliminated later years as was the monopod, wings, dust cover. File scratched off the mum hurts also. imo. a starter collector in the value range of 200-250---imo
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dead link, & WTH post an Arisaka ? on a German rifle forum
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    I had a vast collection at one time, the chrome bore without the features you stated seems a bit strange. Chrome bores were eliminated later years as was the monopod, wings, dust cover. File scratched off the mum hurts also. imo. a starter collector in the value range of 200-250---imo