In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BROWNING BAR MK3

1146markm1146markm Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hello, does anyone know if the newer Browning BAR MK3 can be disassembled/broken down like the other BAR models??? My experience with one of the newer bolt action Browning rifles was it could not be disassembled as a family member brought it to me to machine it down and thread the barrel for a suppressor and I could not; "reasonably" disassemble it as I believe for liability reasons...I cannot find info on the MK3 as far as break down and assume it should be a standard for the auto for cleaning purposes at least but wonder how far it is possible or if the barrel can be removed for any type of lathe set up to shorten, crown and thread it..Any help would be appreciated....I have only worked on and modified remington bolt, autos and pumps but leaning towards the new BAR..Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what you are asking. I'd bet money that the barrel screws out, and yes you should have a barrel vice and an action wrench specifically for those parts.

Browning is still in business ask them

http://www.browning.com/support/contact.html

I had a Belgium Browning in 30-06, very sweet shooting rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the response; Can't remember the Browning bolt model it was but the barreled action could not be removed from the stock "reasonably"...As for this kind of work; I have on hand all that is necessary in my shop to do the job or make/machine whatever is needed including any bushings required for my barrel vice if needed, but did not find any info on this firearm or any PDF manual stating the cleaning/break down procedure as with say the Remington (which I've done countless times) 760,742 or 7400 for example has available...I don't feel the barrel on this model Browning MK3 would be threaded into the receiver unless it was a bolt action rifle obviously; I believe browning would not sell this auto without a way to clean it correctly for the average Joe which should mean breaking down to normal barrel removel at minimal...Any auto rifle (center fire) I have had experience with so far was able to reasonably be broken down for correct cleaning at least...Just don't want to buy one to find out if the MK3 cannot even be reasonably removed from its stock which was the case with the Browning bolt I once encountered.I would have initially contacted a tech from Browning and will do so if it is possible but figured someone here had to have had experience with this model at least in terms of break down...Anyway I find it amazing their is no topic on this firearm pertaining to this...Thank you again for your response on this topic......quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I'm not sure what you are asking. I'd bet money that the barrel screws out, and yes you should have a barrel vice and an action wrench specifically for those parts.

Browning is still in business ask them

http://www.browning.com/support/contact.html

I had a Belgium Browning in 30-06, very sweet shooting rifle.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this question has to be asked, then you should take it to a professional.

I have had all the Browning bolt actions, including the A-Bolt 3, and the X-Bolt, completely out of the stocks, and completely disassembled. There is no trick to it.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is kinda offensive when someone asks a question and instead of a pertinent answer he gets "if you have to ask take it to a professional"..The question was asked because I don't have one yet, there is a lack of info on it out there, I have no experience with the MK3 yet and also because this is a forum and a source of information which assistance and a friendly reply is welcome and appreciated....When a relative brought me the (pretty) Browning bolt new in the box I could not break the action screw lose with any "reasonable force" such as is like the 68in action screws on the Remington's or Winchesters I have built, rebarreled, rechambered etc...There is a good reason military/law enforcement always used Remington's and I've stuck with them mostly and know them best... Although I know I COULD do it, not ever dealing with the Browning the thought occured maybe in this day and age the new rifles were not meant to be disassembled like a average bolt action as I applied so much force I damn there rounded out the socket head; twisting the wrench as if it were glued in so he did not want it to be attempted..He took it back and I built him a Rem 700 for less then he paid for the box rifle Xbolt...I have read some owners of Xbolts after having removed their barreled actions with a hell of a lot of force discovered only afterwards the action was what appeared to be glued to the stock consequently leaving bedding/stock compound chunks stuck to the barrel/action giving me the thought perhaps for liability issues were not meant to be removed from the stock, still probably just a lack of release agent but who knew...Today is a era of lawsuits and liabilities so it's not out of the question to question it...I asked as I stated "because I do not own the MK3 yet" and thought someone on here had experience with the break down of this rifle I could not research it on the net.....I am from Pa. Decided years ago to build my own rifles and we are just implementing the law to allow semi auto for hunting so I never had much experience with the Browning MK3 auto here; the BAR although I don't own one but thanks to the info floating around on the break down seems to be simple procedure and could easily be set up in the lathe to machine it and may very well be like the MK3 I just asked if someone knew about it yet, however thanks for the pertinent info on the Browning bolts regardless.........Again if anyone has experience with the MK3 it is much appreciated..Been trying to reach a tech at Browning for this reasonable info.....quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

I have had all the Browning bolt actions, including the A-Bolt 3, and the X-Bolt, completely out of the stocks, and completely disassembled. There is no trick to it.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By the way thank you Charliemeyer for the link as I just spoke to a tech at Browning after a long wait...They stated the reason for no disassembly instructions in the manual or out there is due to the gas system will never need to be cleaned; which I don't believe...However if it were ever necessary to disassemble it (which we all know the day will come if enough rounds are put through it) beyond the magazine box it can be completely broke down by a competent person as with the previous BAR...Thanks again...quote:Originally posted by 1146markm
    It is kinda offensive when someone asks a question and instead of a pertinent answer he gets "if you have to ask take it to a professional"..The question was asked because I don't have one yet, there is a lack of info on it out there, I have no experience with the MK3 yet and also because this is a forum and a source of information which assistance and a friendly reply is welcome and appreciated....When a relative brought me the (pretty) Browning bolt new in the box I could not break the action screw lose with any "reasonable force" such as is like the 68in action screws on the Remington's or Winchesters I have built, rebarreled, rechambered etc...There is a good reason military/law enforcement always used Remington's and I've stuck with them mostly and know them best... Although I know I COULD do it, not ever dealing with the Browning the thought occured maybe in this day and age the new rifles were not meant to be disassembled like a average bolt action as I applied so much force I damn there rounded out the socket head; twisting the wrench as if it were glued in so he did not want it to be attempted..He took it back and I built him a Rem 700 for less then he paid for the box rifle Xbolt...I have read some owners of Xbolts after having removed their barreled actions with a hell of a lot of force discovered only afterwards the action was what appeared to be glued to the stock consequently leaving bedding/stock compound chunks stuck to the barrel/action giving me the thought perhaps for liability issues were not meant to be removed from the stock...Today is a era of lawsuits and liabilities so it's not out of the question to question it...I asked as I stated "because I do not own the MK3 yet" and thought someone on here had experience with the break down of this rifle I could not research it on the net.....I am from Pa. Decided years ago to build my own rifles and we are just implementing the law to allow semi auto for hunting so I never had much experience with the Browning MK3 auto here; the BAR although I don't own one but thanks to the info floating around on the break down seems to be simple procedure and could easily be set up in the lathe to machine it and may very well be like the MK3 I just asked if someone knew about it yet, however thanks for the pertinent info on the Browning bolts regardless.........Again if anyone has experience with the MK3 it is much appreciated..Been trying to reach a tech at Browning for this reasonable info.....quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

Best
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1146markm
    It is kinda offensive when someone asks a question and instead of a pertinent answer he gets "if you have to ask take it to a professional"..The question was asked because I don't have one yet, there is a lack of info on it out there, I have no experience with the MK3 yet and also because this is a forum and a source of information which assistance and a friendly reply is welcome and appreciated....When a relative brought me the (pretty) Browning bolt new in the box I could not break the action screw lose with any "reasonable force" such as is like the 68in action screws on the Remington's or Winchesters I have built, rebarreled, rechambered etc...There is a good reason military/law enforcement always used Remington's and I've stuck with them mostly and know them best... Although I know I COULD do it, not ever dealing with the Browning the thought occured maybe in this day and age the new rifles were not meant to be disassembled like a average bolt action as I applied so much force I damn there rounded out the socket head; twisting the wrench as if it were glued in so he did not want it to be attempted..He took it back and I built him a Rem 700 for less then he paid for the box rifle Xbolt...I have read some owners of Xbolts after having removed their barreled actions with a hell of a lot of force discovered only afterwards the action was what appeared to be glued to the stock consequently leaving bedding/stock compound chunks stuck to the barrel/action giving me the thought perhaps for liability issues were not meant to be removed from the stock, still probably just a lack of release agent but who knew...Today is a era of lawsuits and liabilities so it's not out of the question to question it...I asked as I stated "because I do not own the MK3 yet" and thought someone on here had experience with the break down of this rifle I could not research it on the net.....I am from Pa. Decided years ago to build my own rifles and we are just implementing the law to allow semi auto for hunting so I never had much experience with the Browning MK3 auto here; the BAR although I don't own one but thanks to the info floating around on the break down seems to be simple procedure and could easily be set up in the lathe to machine it and may very well be like the MK3 I just asked if someone knew about it yet, however thanks for the pertinent info on the Browning bolts regardless.........Again if anyone has experience with the MK3 it is much appreciated..Been trying to reach a tech at Browning for this reasonable info.....quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

Best

If you had all that experience, that you say you have, you wouldn't need to be asking. I was just giving you good sound advice, so a useable rifle did not get destroyed. I have seen that too, as I have been doing this for 35 years.

Agreed, at one time Remington 700 was the best out of the box...but not any more. They are still the most widely used, because of price, and price alone. That in itself should tell you that Remington has been cutting corners...at least for two decades now, to keep that price low. Their receiver's are still the most widely used, and can be blue printed fairly easily.

EDIT 1

Just as an ironic aside, most of the high end action manufacturers, like Stillers, Defiance Machine, and Surgeon, all make a line of actions that mimic the foot print of the round bottom Remington 700 action. This is so it will fit into the many available stocks, made for the Remington 700 action, with minimal fitting. Also many of them also are set up to use the Remington 700 style triggers, and their aftermarket counterparts, like Timney, Shilen, and Jewell triggers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Agreed...Yes I have a 6-284 I am in the process of working a load up for built on the Surgeon action with a Carbon Saturn 1.350" barrel blank I bought years ago off this sight..Carbon wrapped and a challenge to machine and fit as a result due to using Surgeons tri picatinny rail they discontinued years ago...It is worth it to just spend the 1000 for the customs actions today rather than spend time blueprinting the Rems now I feel..By the way I don't do this for a living but it is a passion of mine as well as shooting and hunting having a mechanical engineering back ground and so I lack the experience of those who depend on a living from it...However I would never hesitate to do my own work rather than send anything out...Best regards...quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    quote:Originally posted by 1146markm

Best

If you had all that experience, that you say you have, you wouldn't need to be asking. I was just giving you good sound advice, so a useable rifle did not get destroyed. I have seen that too, as I have been doing this for 35 years.

Agreed, at one time Remington 700 was the best out of the box...but not any more. They are still the most widely used, because of price, and price alone. That in itself should tell you that Remington has been cutting corners...at least for two decades now, to keep that price low. Their receiver's are still the most widely used, and can be blue printed fairly easily.

EDIT 1

Just as an ironic aside, most of the high end action manufacturers, like Stillers, Defiance Machine, and Surgeon, all make a line of actions that mimic the foot print of the round bottom Remington 700 action. This is so it will fit into the many available stocks, made for the Remington 700 action, with minimal fitting. Also many of them also are set up to use the Remington 700 style triggers, and their aftermarket counterparts, like Timney, Shilen, and Jewell triggers.