In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Subsonic 22 LR

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know what the fps is for the round?

I'm getting low on them and the fps will allow me to search for something close for my 10/22. Without getting into match ammo, the Remington Subsonics provided the best accuracy. Wish they Rem subsonics were still being produced.

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    38 gr bullet, 1050 FPS at the muzzle and 900 fps at 100 yards with -7.7" below line of site at 100 yards when sited in at 50 yards.

It's on the side of the box, but I had to use a bright light and magnifying glass to read it.

Edit: These are subsonic .22 long rifle hollow point. That's what I have. I don't know if they made a subsonic regular round point or not, or what your shooting.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Subsonic ammo is under 1000 FPS. If you can't get any more of the Remington's. Try Aguila standard velocity. During the recent nobama ammo famine. I shot any 22's, I could get my hands on.

The lowest velocity, conventional 22 LR's. Were Winchester Wildcats and Aguila Standard Velocities. I believe this was because, slower burning powder was used in these cartridges. Functioned OK, in longer barreled semiauto handguns. And .22 AR conversion units. Not so much in handguns with barrels less than 5".
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI standard velocity .22's are very close. Try 'em.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    38 gr bullet, 1050 FPS at the muzzle and 900 fps at 100 yards with -7.7" below line of site at 100 yards when sited in at 50 yards.

It's on the side of the box, but I had to use a bright light and magnifying glass to read it.

Edit: These are subsonic .22 long rifle hollow point. That's what I have. I don't know if they made a subsonic regular round point or not, or what your shooting.

The ammo data marked on boxes of .22 ammo. Is based on the muzzle velocity from a 18" rifle barrel. I always figure 15% less velocity, from a 4+ barreled handgun.

1050 FPS would cross over to, approximately 900 FPS from a handgun. Depending on the burning rate of the powder. As I noted in my previous post.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

The ammo data marked on boxes of .22 ammo. Is based on the muzzle velocity from a 18" rifle barrel. I always figure 15% less velocity, from a 4+ barreled handgun.

1050 FPS would cross over to, approximately 900 FPS from a handgun. Depending on the burning rate of the powder. As I noted in my previous post.

I didn't have a chronograph but I did penetration test into phone books using different .22 ammo through a 6" H&R revolver and a Winchester 67A rifle, shorts, CB's, long rifle. I can tell you there's a big difference.
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got a 1000 rounds. have yet to shoot it. hopefully is better than thunderduds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by godalejr
    got a 1000 rounds. have yet to shoot it. hopefully is better than thunderduds.

Remington changed the bullet composition, of the Thunderbolts awhile back. They don't foul the barrels with lead deposits, like the old ones did.

I have fired a bunch in the last year+, with no fouling problems. The old ones were so soft. They about plugged the barrels of my Advantage Arms conversion units, with pieces of lead.

They are loaded hot though. Never cronoed them. But they seem to have the same velocity, as the Golden Bullets.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can vouch for the accuracy of Aguila sub-sonic. They are around 1025 fps and I've never noticed one going super sonic from any of my 10-22's. The other sub-sonic I can recommend is CCI sub-sonic HP. It is scary accurate from my 4" Ruger 22/45.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that Remington Subsonic was great ammo. Didn't know it was no longer made. It has been my go to rabbit control round for years.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Any target .22LR ammo should be solid and subsonic.