In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifle Equilavent

emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hey there everyone. I was thinking of getting rid of my MAS49/56 in .308 I am undecided on what to get to replace it. I am not interested in sporterized rifles but more so original military surplus. I want something roughly equivalent in value to my MAS. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Difficult to meet all your criteria.

The Ishapore Enfield 2A is a 7.62 milsurp, but costs a lot less than the MAS.

Neal
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Israeli K98k in 7.62x51mm
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were originally in 7.5 French. Century Arms rechambered them to 7.62 X 51. When they were imported surplus, from France.

Because of the rechambering, the value to a military rifle collector is poor.

Centuries workmanship is questionable, to a lot of folks. Unless it can be test fired, might be even a hard sell as a shooter.

EDIT #1,

Unlikely IMHO. OP will be able to find anyone, to give him enough. For the 49/55. To buy one of the FN 49's. As one of the previous posters noted. They have become quite pricy, over the years.

My WAG is that he would be lucky, if he could get enough from the 49/55. To obtain a surplus East Bloc M-N 91/30.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by emsfire
    Hey there everyone. I was thinking of getting rid of my MAS49/56 in .308 I am undecided on what to get to replace it. I am not interested in sporterized rifles but more so original military surplus. I want something roughly equivalent in value to my MAS. Any suggestions?

I would suggest an FN 49 although that might be stretching the meaning of "roughly equivalent in value" just a bit. But not by a whole lot.

You'll have to convince whomever buys your modified MAS that the rifle works fine. Century's handiwork is generally poor as is their reputation on this particular rifle especially. I have an all original MAS and it performs flawlessly, their value seems to have gone up a fair amount in the last 5 to 10 years.

I have an all original FN 49 in 8mm Mauser, cost about $700.00 a few years back. I'd stay away from the FN 49s that have had their stock replaced with a "chocolate brown" colored aftermarket stock - it's a God awful color with no grain.

If you're looking for something similar to a MAS the FN is pretty close.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spanish FR8 good solid rifle.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree w/ the hard sell, & likely won't find much in that price range (value of maybe $200 for the 7.62-butchered MAS 49/56).

It would be wise to avoid those milsurp calibers bound to dry-up in next decade or so (.303 Brit, 7.5 Frog, 8x57mm JS Mauser).
    Thus, would suggest anything in 7.62 NATO: Spanish FR-7/FR-8, Izzy K98k Mauser, or Ishapore 2A Enfield.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would seriously consider looking at the FN-49. About the same period, and much more reliable. Not to mention a lot easier to find d ammo for in the various cartridges it was chambered in.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the FN-49 in 7mm mauser...

It's reliable and well designed and high quality.

Price is reflected by those factors.

The original unaltered - non sporterized - not altered for colonial issue MAS 49 in 7.5 French is also an excellent and unappreciated rifle...

I have 3 different variants and am a fan.

Not so much of a fan of the later .308 conversions or colonial issue pieces...

Finding an intact nice original semiautomatic battle rifle that's reliable and affordable has become difficult.

I would even suggest a shooter grade M1 garand a an alternative but they have gotten pricey and demand greatly exceeds supply...

Have you considered the Czech CZ 52 rifle in the original proprietary intermediate chambering or the later 7.62x39mm arsenal east bloc Conversions???

Very nice very handy platform imho.

Mike