In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Rear Sight for a 1911

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington 1911 that shoots low by 12 to 18" at 25 yards. Thus I am in need of an adjustable rear sight. I'm not shooting competitively but still want a decent sight at reasonable cost.

A friend has 2 such sights. One is a Millet ($60) and the is a LPA ($40). Both are used. Your thoughts please!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the Millet. The Italian made LPA sights, are generally to low. As they were made to work, with the original height front sight.

I have used a bunch of LPA sights over the years. Going back to the 90's. When Pachmeyr used to sell them.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    bomar was the sight of choice for many years also Ken site
    but neither were cheap
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    18" at 25 yards is 0.14" on the sights. Even 12" is 0.09" That is a huge difference and not within the range of standard adjustable sights.

You need to do the trigonometry and find out what height sights, front and rear, you need to get on target.

I would not get a Millett. I sure would not pay $60 for one. They have been out of production for years and parts are scarce to unavailable. I don't like their sight picture, anyhow.

There are a lot of different LPAs. As rufe says SOME of the LPAs are made for use with GI fronts but some are considerably taller.

I would get something from Kensight, they make copies of Bomar, Novak, and even of the original Kensight.

You must also consider installation. An adjustable sight in the GI dovetail like a pre-optic target gun would cost little and add elevation that you need. Low mounts add $100 or more to the cost.
    But a high mounted adjustable rear would probably call for a taller front, but not as tall as a normal gun would require.

I guess you could consider the possibility that your gun barrel is fitted out of spec, but that would call for major gunsmith inspection and maybe rebuilding.

I hadn't thought of "So is this a WWII Remington or a new one(?)"
    Said Remington, not Remington Rand, so I assumed current manufacture. But it might be a RR. If so, and if in good unaltered condition, the collector won't care where it shoots when he pays you more than the cost of a nice new pistol.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look into tritium night sights on both ends.

+1 for how is the rest of the pistol doing mechanically. So is this a WWII Remington or a new one. It might pay to leave an old one alone and just get a new one set up the way you want.

The first millet I had shot apart about the time I wore out the first barrel.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of it depends on the metal work, and which style sight you currently have. I think Remingtons came with a standard dove tail, and the Hennie cut sight too. Make sure.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowering the height of the front sight will raise the point of impact. You can lower the front sight with a steady hand and a file. Cold blue it when done or 'smoke' it.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fusion makes an excellent adjustable for about $60.00.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/parts/slide-parts/sights/1911/adjustable-sights/standard-dovetail/black-adjustable-rear-sight-fusion-lpa

Brownells, Midway probably carry them. IIRC they used to be marketed as "Champion" or "Kensight" brand. I have 4 or 5, mostly plain black, and they're excellent quality. I like that the entire rear end of the sight moves, is as a practical matter the rear sight blade. Rather than a blade inside a wing. I think it makes for a cleaner picture.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or, it could be a Remington UMC --- from WWI.

Whatever, we are just guessing here. We need photos of the gun, especially close ups of the front & rear sights. And, history; are you saying a new or pre-owned gun? What load are you shooting?

Neal
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As forgemonkey or Perryshooter or one of the other 1911 guys here but if I had a 1911 shooting that low I would be looking at something besides sights. I have owned maybe 30 different 1911 pistols and never had one shoot that low. If that is a new Remington I would demand they fix that.