In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Keltec 32

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
Has started misfires..the striker hits the primer,but its not firing....is it the cartridge or the firing pin? Using Remington 71 gr new ammo...

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one for awhile, when they first went into production. It worked OK, no problems that I can remember.

First thing, would be to try different ammo. After taking it apart, and cleaning it real good. Make sure the firing pin and internal hammer, are clean and not binding on anything.

The 32 ACP, is one of the original "semi-rimmed" cartridges, from the early 1900's. Might be possible that the extractor is hanging up on the rim of the Remington ammo, preventing the slide from going completely into battery?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So is there a good dent in the primer? Yes - then suspect the ammo; No - well it could be the gun as in striker spring or the ammo doesn't properly allowing the slide to fully close, wrong primer.

Does it have a magazine safety? If so make sure it's seated fully.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looks like a good "dent" into the primer...could it be not striking full depth?...I guess new other ammo warrants a try?...thanks..yes, I cleaned the parts and re assembled..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is a IPB for a P 32, off the net.

I've owned one of their 9 mm, P 11's, that has a similar layout for years.

Had problems with misfires shooting 9 mm military ammo with hard primers.

Cut a down the firing pin spring, #172, a couple of turns. Problem was solved. Since as you say, your primer is obviously being well hit. You might give it a try. If changing ammo doesn't work.

Be careful not to cut the firing pin spring back to much though. As it functions as a passive safety. To prevent ND's, if the P 32 is dropped on a hard surface.

Kel-Tec_P32_schem.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much! I'll give it try if the ammo switch doesn't cure the problem...
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So many things can go wrong. Besides all the "normal" stuff-weak springs, broken/worn firing pin, bad ammo, etc, check to make sure no LINT has gotten into the workings of the hammer swing or firing pin travel. If yours has been carried in a pocket like mine was for a long time some junk may have gotten into it to slow down some parts that need to move quickly to make it go bang.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jeffb1911
    So many things can go wrong. Besides all the "normal" stuff-weak springs, broken/worn firing pin, bad ammo, etc, check to make sure no LINT has gotten into the workings of the hammer swing or firing pin travel. If yours has been carried in a pocket like mine was for a long time some junk may have gotten into it to slow down some parts that need to move quickly to make it go bang.

+1, I bought a Bernardelli, .22 Short, Vest Pocket, at a show years ago. It proved to be so full of lint, that it was inoperable. Who ever carried it for self protection, would have been in deep dodo. If they ever really needed it. It did work, after I cleaned it up though.