In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 creedmoor barrel length

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
I would appreciate any opinions regarding what length of barrel it takes to optimize the velocity from a 6.5 creedmoor.

I plan to use this cartridge for long range(600m)target shooting.
Since I don't reload,the 120-140gr factory ammo the rifle likes best is what I will be using.

I see many rifles on the market with long(up to 30in.)barrels in the creed cartridge.
It seems to me that this short action cartridge will realize its maximum potential in about 22inches.

EDIT:
Viewed a chart showing a 142gr match king having the highest fps coming from a 24in

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No experience with a 6.5 short 308, some with a 6.5-06/256 Newton.

A heavy stiff short barrel might be better than an extra long one.

Out of 100's of rifles I have only had one that shot better with factory ammo. Barrels were usually in the 20 something.

600 yards isn't all that far but you will likely need to work your rifle over. Trigger work, at least glass bed the action, mostly free floated barrel with about 5# of up pressure at the end of the stock is my starting place. It really helps to be able to set the bullet position and type, choice of and amount of powder, and the primer to light it, plus a fire formed case that exactly fit the chamber.

After 300 yards I like boattails, but they aren't always the best choice.

I'd look at whatever the factory used to test their ammo and what the rifle maker says they used in the testing.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tone59,

quote:...what length of barrel it takes to optimize the velocity from a 6.5 creedmoor.

You don't tell us what type of rifle you will be using, custom or factory. Unless everyone is limited to factory rifles in your competition and you choose factory, you might find yourself at a disadvantage.

In F-Class competitions, 600 yards is referred to as Mid-Range in the rule books while 1,000 yards is referred to as Long-Range.

I've seen this question several times now and it requires a little more detail to give a decent answer and some better than basic knowledge of internal ballistics. But time doesn't allow for all of this today, so here is the short version.

In order to 'optimize' you have to curtail the variables or narrow them down to one. Then proceed to find the barrel length for that variable. There are 21 variations of factory ammunition for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Some are similar, most are not. But you could break them down into approximate categories by bullet weight and velocity, then test.

By using data I've collected over the last few years for the 6.5 Creedmoor, you can guestimate, as you have done, to see that based on velocities and bullet weights, most of these cartridges will perform in a 20" to 26" barrel. Powder companies, bullet companies, and ammunition makers have standardized barrel lengths in their armories for testing. They make an attempt at 'optimizing' for that length in their testing. Usually this is based on what they assume is the most used type of rifle and barrel length available so they can sell the most ammunition or components.

Given the parameters of the factory ammunition for Match Grade ammunition, you could probably do fine with a 24" barrel. Since I build, compete and reload, my parameters are very different.

We use 30" barrels because we often use cooler burning powders which require that length in order to provide better burning characteristics. Shorter barrels need faster/hotter powders in order to perform. My 6.5 Creedmoor rifles have barrel lengths from 19" to 30" based on the use.

Be sure to try as many brands of ammunition in order to make sure that you're getting the best performance. There are competitve shooters in PRS who use factory ammunition so it's not unheard of but most competitors reload for the best performance. Factory now is available with Sierra Match, Berger Match, Nosler Match, and Hornady ELD Match bullets so there you have decent choices at least.

Good Luck with your target shooting!

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    As of now I am not willing to invest the time nor money it would take to be competitive.
    Have not decided on the rifle.
    Makes sense to me to learn about the chosen cartridge then go after a rifle.
    Budget is 2200 for rifle and scope.

Currently set up at 300m(330yds)and 600m.
    My 30-06 light weight hunting rifle does ok at 330yds but it is a waste of ammo at 660yds.
    Besides the recoil makes it hard for me to relax after a few shots.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't overstudy it.
    Buy a rifle you like and go shooting.
    I would avoid a 19" barrel and would not pay extra for a 30" barrel.
    The Ruger has a 24" barrel.
    The Savage has a 26" barrel.
    There is no practical difference at 600m.
    When you wear out the factory barrel, you can replace it longer or shorter depending on what you have learned.

If you are recoil sensitive, you might look into the even newer and more wonderfuller 6mm Creedmoor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tone59,

Here is one of the recommended ammunition makers for the 6.5 Creedmoor:

https://www.primeammo.com/ammunition/6-5-creedmoor.html

We tested this by the case load for a couple of months in test shooting at the range as well as in competitions. It is very consistent and accurate given the level of custom rifles we used for testing. It even fared well in the Ruger RPR.

There shouldn't be much left to study if you've read all the information you say you've read. It is the most selected cartridge for competitions and leisure shooting. The performance is high and there is a large selection of manufacturers and rifle designs to choose from. We have built more custom 6.5 Creedmoor rifles than any other cartridge including the venerable .308 Win. There are AR platforms which are shooting 1/2 MOA targets to 1,000 yards with the Creedmoor.

I just saw a listing of rifle makers with 41 models chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor, many under $1,000, some way under. You can also start with a Savage or Remage in order to save money. It's also possible to find a barreled action and drop it into a chassis or chassis style stock to improve handling. One of the best is the GSR Berserk.

The all you need are good mounts, a good scope. Take a look at the Vortex line of scopes. Also some of the Burris and Nikons but leave the Leupolds alone. They are way too overpriced and under deliver for the cost. This is not opinion but tested fact.

Good Luck with your shooting!

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,
    Thank you, the site u suggested had interesting info.
    Prime ammo is now one of several types I will try.

Been looking at rifles.
    ruger,howa,tikka,savage,browning.
    leaning towards a savage.
    The 11 lb. model 12 with a 26 fluted barrel or the 8.5 lb. model 10 with a 24in fluted barrel.
    Leaning towards the model 10 as it could double as a hunting rifle plus saves me a few hundred dollars.
    Vortex Viper scope.

EDIT:
    On second thought... I should go with the heavy rifle for target shooting and if I like the caliber get rid of the 30-06 and buy a light weight 6.5 for hunting.
    Either way it will be fun.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That scope should say Viper PST, not just Viper. They make both, and the Viper PST is worth the extra money. You can get it in both first, and second focal plane models. Unless you are going to be using the reticle for range finding, the second focal plane will save you about $100.00-200.00.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Viper PST is still within my budget.
    Thank You tsr1965.
    I sure don't want to spend money on a scope that is not up to the job.

If I have success at 660yds we my go out to a half mile.
    Don't have the room for 1000yds.

Thanks to all for sharing your valued knowledge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tone59,

quote:EDIT:
    On second thought... I should go with the heavy rifle for target shooting and if I like the caliber get rid of the 30-06 and buy a light weight 6.5 for hunting.
    Either way it will be fun.

Remember to give consideration to the weight of the scope, rings and base as it can come as an added surprise when assembled on your rifle. Most folks have no tolerance for a hunting rifle which weighs 13 - 15 lbs.

Best.