In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

George Gibbs rifle?

jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at a George Gibbs falling block 6.5 rifle and can't seem to find any info as for the value of the gun. I've got some photos but having trouble with photo bucket. The gun is in good condition, but I've not shot it. I'm told the 6.5 ammo is different from regular 6.5 we now shoot. Anyway I'll post some pics. If I can get it to work. If anyone knows anything about this gun please let me know.I'd like to try and get it before its sold to someone else but don't want to get burned to bad either.
Thanks jw

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    George Gibbs of Bristol, was a famous English gunmaker. Started in the mid 19th Century, with muzzle loaders. Later during the cartridge era, built single shots using the Farquharson action.

Most were larger than 6.5 though. Make sure the one your buying is original. Not something rebarreled by a gunsmith, from a earlier Gibbs. This would ruin it's collectors value. And put it into the shooter category. Nothing wrong with a shooter, as long as it's priced as a shooter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun is original an the 6.5 is supposed to be an English rimless cartridge, from what I've been told. I was also told that people got reloading dies when they ordered a rifle to load their own ammo. I wish I could get the pictures to load but cant. Maybe it will work later. The rifle is loaded with engraving on the receiver and still looks pretty good. The gun has been cleaned with what appears to be steel wool but not sanded down. Stock is pretty good condition also. It also has what looks to be a Scope that came with the rifle or the same time period. I'm thinking around 1500.00 to 2000 not sure though because of the 6.5 ammo.
    Jw.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jwharding
    The gun is original an the 6.5 is supposed to be an English rimless cartridge, from what I've been told. I was also told that people got reloading dies when they ordered a rifle to load their own ammo. I wish I could get the pictures to load but cant. Maybe it will work later. The rifle is loaded with engraving on the receiver and still looks pretty good. The gun has been cleaned with what appears to be steel wool but not sanded down. Stock is pretty good condition also. It also has what looks to be a Scope that came with the rifle or the same time period. I'm thinking around 1500.00 to 2000 not sure though because of the 6.5 ammo.
    Jw.

Scope is another questionable point. These were not common as original equipment, with Gibbs Farquharson's.

Also per your description of it being cleaned. Definitely wouldn't be buying it, unless you could get a hands-on from a pro.

To me it appears that their are way to many discrepancies, concerning the rifle. Caliber, Scope, Condition etc.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I was also told that people got reloading dies when they ordered a rifle to load their own ammo.

Balderdash.
    Reloading was rare in the era when Gibbs was making single shots. Still not usual in England.

There is a lot of other spooky stuff in the description.
    Very few period falling blocks were made for rimless cartridges.
    On the other hand, the rimmed 6.5mm Dutch Mannlicher round was quite popular in England at one time. Usually seen in bolt actions, it would be no trick to make up a single shot for it.

There is a Sticky on showing pictures here.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A $200 gun - yea ok, a $2000 I'd want to know more. Someone needs to slug the bore and do a chamber cast - at least then you have a chance to figure out what 6.5 it is now, who knows what George made it as.

added Cartridges of the World 4th Ed. lists a 256 Magnum (Gibbs) developed in 1913 for Mauser type rifles (looks like a 6.5 Swede).
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jwharding,

Please check your e-mail. I can load the photographs for you. My new e-mail address is in the e-mail.

Best.

ADDED:

Use this e-mail but correct the changes- spaces, words, parenthetics.

lr3500max375 (at) gmail (dot) com.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I checked the mail an haven't got yours yet. Mail could be slow today. I'll keep checking an will send them to you. Might try resend in it again.
    Thanks Gerald
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally saw the post an sent pictures. Thanks in advance, hope you get them. i still can't get photobucket to work.
    Gerald
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have posted the photographs in a new topic to allow for more responses and discussion. Please continue with Part 3 or more if there is enough material and discussion.

Best.