In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1886 Winchester HELP Update Photos

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
http://imgur.com/a/Z4kXQ
Thank you Bert and the rest of you folks for taking a look at this old lever gun. Please click on the link and you will see my photos. I think I know what's going on with this gun but it is a consignment and I don't want to make any mistakes listing it. Again thank you!! Ricci.

Comments

• eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    to me the condition of the wood doesn,t match the condition of the metal, i think the metal was refinished, including the case hardening and the barrel and magizine were cut off. but then again i,m no expert. eastbank.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rifle has been messed with, and would qualify as a shooter. The rarity of the 38-56 chambering might get you in the $1500.00-$2000.00 range.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has (the metal) been refinished.

You can see rounded edges were buffing and polishing occurred during the rescue and clean up.

You can see remnants of pitting - I imagine it was a basket case at some point.

The gun has been cut down - the rear sight component to match the front is gone.

The case hardening was reapplied.

I the loading port does not quite match the look and feel of the rest of things.

How is the bore - the rifling???

The wood disappoints somewhat - if I was refinishing the metal I would have done the stock.

I like the gun - but you are in a grey area...

Serious collectors will not want it as its been altered and the wood needs attention.

The average shooter or buyer on a budget will probably be looking for something cheaper.

I would think a penny start auction is the best way to go or attract bidders.

A cowboy action shooter or someone looking to get their 1st 1886 might find it appealing.

The caliber holds it back as well - hard to find - not on most shooters radar or within their awareness - it will be expensive to shoot.

It's a crap shoot.

I think it's even money whether you end up selling it under $1000.00 or you get some competitive intrest and the auction nets closer to $3000.00

Again I like it - it's an oddball orphan - it's a rough diamond that might still get polished to a shine.

It's not a gun that you will see often at the range.

I only have one 1886 - a lightweight takedown in .33 winchester

I can offer you my opinion but burt and the other experts in this area certainly know more than I do.

Hope this helps.

Mike