In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CCI 22LR Quiet Ammo safe?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
Is it safe to fire CCI 22LR Quiet ammo in a CZ 452 Ultra Lux?

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Sure. I use that in all of my .22's for plinking in the backyard. It isn't much noisier than an air rifle and is only 674 fps at 50 yards, less than .22 shorts @ 951 fps. It's really not much more powerful than CB caps, which are 656 fps @ 50 yards.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Thanks Spider. There was a tread on utube where two guys said they had bullets not exit the muzzle.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Is it safe to fire CCI 22LR Quiet ammo in a CZ 452 Ultra Lux?

Why wouldn't it be?

Ammo is supposed to get 700+ fps from a rifle, which, although slow for a .22LR is still air-gun velocity and plenty fast. If something that fast doesn't make it through your barrel, then something is wrong with the barrel.

If you're worried that the bullet won't leave the muzzle of your gun, just try one round and see what happens.

FWIW, Aguila cautions not to use its 'Colibri' and 'Super-Colibri' primer only .22LR in rifles for fear of sticking a barrel. Those go *MUCH* slower than the CCI "quiet" ammo (as low as 450 FPS, IIRC), and despite Aguilas warning, I've used the primer-only .22 in a fairly wide variety of guns and never had an issue with a stuck round.

Edit: I haven't tried these CCI rounds (yet), but I've shot plenty of comparable CB type ammo through a fairly wide variety of guns, and again, never had an issue with a bullet sticking in any of them. The only way I could see a bullet getting stuck with something like this is if the bore were (already) obstructed, and if that were the case, the rifle in question would probably have serious issues with ordinary .22s, too.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used CCI's "CB-Long" cartridges in a variety of .22 rifles for years. My SWAG is that the "Quiet" is very similar. We used to use them during SWAT operations to take out lights quietly. I have used the Colibri rounds in my 10-22 with no problems.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I stuck an Aguila in my 25-inch 452 Lux, about one inch from the muzzle. They cleared the 24-inch barrel of my nephew's Marlin 39, but it probably wasn't by much. I wouldn't use them in anything over 20 inches.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Colibri are 20 grain cb moving at 375 fps.
    I have dispatched rats, and possum in neighbors' garages using this round in a smith 22a pistol with 5.5 inch barrel. They make about as much noise as a finger snap. I doubt the auto loader has been made which will cycle using this round.

I would never use them in a rifle of any length.

Super Colibri move at 590 fps.
    I believe that their packaging has cautions about rifles. But I might be mistaken. I would be hard pressed to use in a rifle. And I would check for daylight after every shot. They do not cycle the action in my auto loader pistols. I haven't tried them in an auto loader rifle.

The CCI quiet are a relatively "zippy" 710 fps. They would more accurately be described a "not nearly as loud". They are in the dB range of a vacuum cleaner. I.e. your neighbor probably won't notice one... But three are going to garner attention.
    They are oddly the same speed as the .22 short CB that I use regularly to curb the local chipmunk population.

I would shoot either out of a rifle suitably chambered.
  • Options
    zvettezvette Member Posts: 118
    edited November -1
    Just bought a new Ruger American Rimfire Target (18" Barrel), and today shot 50 rounds of the CCI Quiet LR.

Very happy with this quiet round and the rifle.

Nice tight groups at 75 yards. I might even try it out at 100 yards as it did not appear to drop as much as the charts indicated it should. EDIT: Now that I look at a plot of the trajectory it makes perfect sense. I had the scope sighted in (using a boresight laser and target) at 75 yards. So at 25 yards it was 3" high "going up the bullet arc" then at 50 yards it was approximately 3" high still, but going "down the arc" then 0 at 75 yards, then between 75 and 100 yards it drops an additional approximate 6" ! with of course minimal remaining energy. The SiteLite calculated trajectory and sighting data is right on with what I am seeing.

I don't understand why on another forum some folks were complaining it was too loud. Seemed to me the "thwack" from hitting the backboard is louder then the report. Also it is not as loud as my .177 1100 fps air rifle with the baffle out of the suppressor, and not much louder than the suppressed air rifle.

As further proof of how "neighbor friendly" this round can be, there are several corrals with horses about 75 to 100 yards back behind me when I was shooting. These horses are easily set off and will run around snorting at any excuse, but they paid no attention to my target practice. Since I am shooting against a very high bank you would think there might be some sound reflection, but that was not the case.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Colibri and Super Colibri are essentially silent out of a CLEAN bore around 14" long.
    I would get 5 shots before sticking one. Push it out & shoot 5 more.
    Really loud from a ppk, airgun level in a 10" Contender.
    Great gallery round for ancient single shot rifles, you just hear the thump as it hits the backstop.
  • Options
    flyeroneflyerone Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use CCI CB.22 Shorts (sub-sonic - low noise) in my Browning SA22 with a 22 inch barrel. No problems - cycles the action.