In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any easy way to tell the difference between

asopasop Member Posts: 8,914 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
stainless and a nickel finish? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just tried that; my Model 66 S&W, Caspian 1911 and NAA Guardian all stuck to the magnet I keep on my bench to hold small parts. With S&W the model numbers code in the stainless guns using the number 6 as the first number in the model designation. Other brands I don't know any such shortcuts.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most firearms are type 416 stainless which is magnetic. This is not a cookpot.

An experienced eye can tell the difference between nickel ("warm"), chrome ("cold") and stainless (gray.)

Other than that, you just have to know the make and model.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy way? You can scratch off a nickel finish. [;)] If its flaking, its not stainless.

Barring that, Hawk has it.

These do look different, but it takes some experience to tell one from the other and even there, I don't think the eye is 100% reliable.

Best way, I think is just to do the homework and find out which finishes your particular model came in. Smith stainless models all start with "6", but other companies sometimes do have sub-model numbers that correlate with the finish.

If its a domestic manufacturer, you can call them with the serial and/or model number and ask, and they may be able to tell you.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually if you do comparative testing on a carbon steel gun, vs. a stainless gun, the stainless has less of a clamp, or hold on the magnet. While a magnet will stick to it, it is no where near as hard fast as the carbon steel, or regular steel plated gun.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Visual is not always correct. High polish stainless can look very close to nickel and satin nickel is often mistaken for stainless
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High polish stainless actually looks more like chrome plating than nickel.
    Nickel plating has a yellowish hue.