In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 LTR DBM?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington 700 LTR in .308 and am thinking about modifying it to accept a detachable magazine. Do you folks have any recommendations as to which company makes the best/most reliable DBM system for a 700 SA?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NeoBlackdog,

There are a ton of DBM makers these days and most are extremely reliable. Price is the biggest discriminator since they range from well over $300.00 down to a little over $160.00 USD from New Zealand. Here's a list:

CDI Precision Gunworks
    Pacific Tool & Gauge
    Accurate Mag (extended lengths available)
    Badger Ordnance
    Seekins Precision
    Surgeon

This one is a 'drop-in' for your Rem. M700 inlet, I just tried it:

[url][/url]http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/remington-700-detachable-mag-bottom-metal-dbm/10069-remington-700-sa-oberndorf-bottom-metal-bdl-dbm.html

There are 3 others I won't suggest because of poor performance and/or exceedingly high price.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nononsense.
    The Pacific was the one I was looking at based on the price (I'm cheap!). It's nice to hear it's a quality product.
    The rifle has already had the action bedded. Am I correct in assuming that will need to be carved out and re-done if I add the DBM to it?

NNS,
    Thanks again for the added info. Still debating whether or not to add the DBM, weighing the practicality/necessity vs. the 'cool' factor vs. the investment.[:)]
    There always seem to be more projects than dollars so we'll see where this goes...
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NeoBlackdog,

Carved out sounds more harsh than necessary.

The best solution is to lightly scrape some of the existing bedding away. This will allow for a skim coat of bedding material. But before doing this skim coat, add aluminum pillars to the actions screw areas. Now you can bed both the action and the trigger guard for the DBM all at once. Check the recoil lug bedding to see that it is not touching anything except the back of the recoil lug space. Be sure your arrangement is stress-free.

This provides the most stable set up for accurizing a rifle.

Best.

ADDED:

This is one of the best tutorials regarding bedding and pillars. I've posted it before but I thought a refresher might be in line.

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

Enjoy the project!

Best.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was looking at a Magpul on sale at Midway. Looked like a good deal.

Thank you nononsense, I highly respect your expertise and advise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    carbine100,

I don't think that there's anything wrong with the Magpul as long as you know it's a polymer construction, not aluminum. I have one of these in the Magpul Hunter stock and it will do fine unless it gets rough or extremely dirty then the dirt and grit will embed itself into the polymer.

Best.