In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CMP Greek 30-06 M2 Ball

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know if this is the same as the black tipped AP round?

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not. As the designation implies, it is M2 ball, ie., 150 grain full metal jacket.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. For the price, still looks pretty good. Feeding an 03A3.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a bunch of it. Very accurate in my 03A3.[:)]
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm running it in M1's. It shoots about as well as anything else including hand-loaded 168 gr. Sierra match bullets, which, I have to admit, group a little bit better. But the Greek stuff is non-corrosive, the cases are reloadable with standard primers, and the cartridges usually come already in M1 clips (of course that doesn't help you with your A3). It's difficult to find something to not like.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to see they have it back in stock. There was quite a while where the CMP was out of milsurp 30-06. (Also glad I stocked way up when it was under $.30 per round.)

Have put 1,000s of rounds of it through everything from 03s, Eddystones, Garands, Johnsons, a 1918A3, a 1919Ar, and even a Cobb MCR in 30-06. Never have had a single failure with any of them.

As noted, it FMJ ammo, not AP. Pretty much the same as the ammo designed for your 03 in '06.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last batch I received, and it was awhile ago, had about a 30% reject rate due to corrosion on the cases. It was pretty bad. Looked like the glue on the boxes didn't help.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the once fired brass to make 35 Whelen.
    Good stuff.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told what I have is Greek. It was purchased some years ago through the CMP.

Can reads,

Ball M2 - 1TR M25
    Ball HXP 101-10-83
    TR HXP 102-4-83
    Lot - L - HXP 103L - 3 - 83

I've run a few rounds through my sporter B.A.R. and another handful through a new Mossberg Patriot bolt gun.
    It is very accurate in both rifles.
    I think it's A.P. because a magnet will JUMP to the projectile when near enough.
    Projectiles appear to be copper jacketed (FMJ), but are most certainly steel core.

Ammo seems like good stuff, but being FMJ I can't hunt with it.
    I don't have any armor I need to penetrate, but I'll hang onto my stash just the same.