In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

522 Viper Not firing consistently,

foofoo Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have an inexpensive Remington 522 Viper that I use for target practice with the kids. Suddenly it stopped firing unless you pull back sharply on the trigger or if you manipulate the bolt slightly while holding the trigger back. I took it apart, found nothing obviously wrong. Cleaned her top to bottom and nothing has changed. I know she's not worth much but I'd like to get her working.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be anything, perhaps something bent or is worn enough to cause the issues. I'm guessing it's pot metal not milled steel construction.

Take it back apart and look for shiny spots where its worn out. Lightly stone all the working surfaces, use a micro fiber cloth to rub the edges looking for burrs.

Check pins and guides for straightness. Check the fit of the pins and the stuff that rides on the pins. Oblong holes allow rocking which can cause binding.

You might be better off time wise with a hands on exam by a pro.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Rifles-37895/522Viper-39520.htm?results=All

added. So does the spent brass show a good hit (dent) from the firing pin? No, perhaps the tunnel has dried crud not allowing full extension to strike case or its shorter from wear or bent. Bolt needs jiggling - implies that it is loose ie the rails are worn if it has them or the receiver/bolt fit is worn. Bad trigger pull - trigger or sear now has oblong holes causing binding or perhaps the pins are bent.

You might look on youtube for this issue with this rifle.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check firing pin and guide hole...see that it comes out far enuff and has definitive tip.. in our dusty country i use a teflon lube ..goes on wet & drys slick...no as much build up as oil
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't take it personally but not only do these guns suffer from a poor reputation but the general consensus is that the magazines are junk...

Often we look to the gun (the barreled action) When something goes wrong - but most or us rarely inspect or consider the condition of the magazine as a possible source of the problem.

Mike
  • Options
    foofoo Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback and info. Unfortunately she's not worth even a one hour GS charge. I'm afraid they must have had a poor rep since their a cool design but seem to go for low dollars in even lightly used condition. I had her apart and back together 5 times trying to find anything. I did find a couple minor burrs but didn't change a thing. The firing pin is in great condition and moves freely. I didn't check the various guide holes but will ........ I wonder if the following would offer a hint to the problem. I don't have the rifle with me but as I recall- the trigger disconnects with the safety on... When I try to fire the rifle (with the safety off), it feels similar to safety on but with some light resistance, but will eventually fire when pulled sharply ?
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like a safety issue to me.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    Remington refuses to support the 522 with parts and/or service. It's as though they are ashamed they ever made it, and well they should be. They SHOULD offer to buy back every one of these pieces of junk that they ever made. Ditto for the 710 and 770.

But they won't. They just blithely continue without regard for the thousands of their customers they have hosed.

That's why I don't buy Remingtons.

PS: I did write them and I did tell them of my decision to boycott their products and why. They simply ignored me.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were JUNK from the start, and had tons of different problems. My suggestion, is to trade at a shop that will take it, even if you get $25.00, and get a 10-22. You will be way further ahead in the long run. Anything that Remington has came up with to compete against the 10-22 has been an outright failure.