In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Mod 11

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
Ihad an opportunity to buy an elderly mans partial collection.3 of them are model 11's called "the sportsman". they are semi auto and have various type choke? S/N are 5086xx,3038xx,4269xx. I was wondering how old they are, I also picked up a rem side by side double barrel s/n 3430xx again how old is this?. all work perfect, I paid $200 each. Thanx Ed

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Bolt and barrel locked to the rear of receiver. What is the fix? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Turned out to be a pit of hard plastic. How it ended up in the receiver I have now idea. Part of a shot shell? Thanks again for all the input.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Unlock by pressing the button on the left.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tried that. Still locked up.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pulled out my gun....i would say the spring is broken around the magazine tube. The spring keeps the barrel forward. Remove the magazine cap and pull off the wood forend. Normally you would see the barrel under spring tension, it would retract about an inch upon firing and return back to it's normal position. I'm concerned about how it got that way, if it was from being fired, than you may have bigger problems that I can't yet resolve. First thing after removing the forend you'll see a wide friction ring with a bronze friction piece overlaying it laying next to the spring, and a narrow friction ring, remember their locations. They are set differently for heavy and light loads.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/hunting/rem_recoilring.jpg

hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Forearm off, Spring not broken. The bolt would not retract, pushed the barrel back, took off forearm, bolt and barrel still locked together, pushed barrel back to limit, has about 1/4" movement with pressure, cartridge lifter in elevated position, cannot move or release bolt or barrel. I have owned this model before and never had this problem. Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend had similar problem once with a Remington Model 11. The key item you mentioned was cartridge lifter stuck, as was his. I disassembled all internal parts from receiver and found lots of accumulated gunk, which apparently was preventing things from moving correctly. Cleaned it out, lightly lubed, and it worked fine, but I never really saw what was binding or stuck.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's make sure I have this straight. Your bolt and barrel are both bound up to the rear of the receiver?

Sounds like the carrier and carrier dog are in a bind and locking up the bolt slide.

Remove the butt, action spring plug and spring and see if relieving spring pressure doesn't help free them up. Be careful not to damage the action spring tube or let the spring and plug get away from you.

I don't recall how long it is but glued a cap onto a short length of 1/2"? (may have been 3/4") pvc pipe and drilled a hole through the cap/pipe to access the plug pin through. With pipe over action spring tube press the cap against a solid surface with just enough force to allow pressing the pin out. Ease off force against pipe cap until spring reaches free length.

If removing spring pressure doesn't free it up then remove the trigger plate group. Definitely do not remove the trigger plate without removing action spring pressure first.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got it. removed the buttstock and trigger group. Worked the barrel with what little movement it had. Turned the action upside down and some hard piece of material dropped out. Bolt and barrel released. Have no idea what the material was. not magnetic, did not appear to be metal based. Cleaned and it works like it should. Thanks to all for you input.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Bolt buffer.

Yep, part # 13..

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Shotguns-37896/11-41186.htm

Some ideas for replacing..

http://tinyurl.com/yd96yt8t
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Geri
    Got it. removed the buttstock and trigger group. Worked the barrel with what little movement it had. Turned the action upside down and some hard piece of material dropped out. Bolt and barrel released. Have no idea what the material was. not magnetic, did not appear to be metal based. Cleaned and it works like it should. Thanks to all for you input.

If it looks like a piece of old fiber brake shoe the recoil cushion in the rear of the receiver is shot. Don't shoot the gun until you have it replaced. There is high risk of cracking the receiver if the cushion is badly damaged or missing.