In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

European Black Powder ?s

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
When you buy a collection you get all kinds of stuff. I ended up with several early pistols. I know that these would shoot. The second two photos are a side by side 40 cal smooth bore. The barrels screw off for cleaning. The barrels are proofed the same as the frame. Anyone know where they were made, when and any idea of value.

The first two is a Belgian made with nice engraving and a very nice damascus barrel. .36 cal smooth bore. I figure 1830 to 1850? but that is a guess too. Same questions as the first. Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/lpv97

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Crown over U proof marks are German. But they came into use, years after the pistol was originally made, circa 1835/1865? Must have been sold used in Germany, after the 1890's, when the proof marks became required.

Or the proofmarks are Spanish phoney's? To make it appear the the pistol, was made in Germany. Double barreled pistols, were very popular in South America. Making a Spanish made pistol appear to have been made in Germany. Would have made it much more sale able.

Edit #1,

One of the mods, Spider. Is a member on another gun forum dealing with antique guns. He might be able to help you with values. I've been out of touch with the BP market, for quite awhile.

From your photos, neither appear to be high dollar items. More on the order, as being decorative wall hangers or conversation pieces.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1911 ALFA catalog - Adolf Frank, Hamburg, Germany
    still listed these little double screw barrel percussion pistols.
    5 to 8 marks depending on how fancy you want to get.