In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger SR 1911

dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
This gun was in the original box unfired for years. Looking at the finish outside in sunlight you can see small rust spots on the stainless. Is there any way to remove these spots?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends how advanced the rust is? If there are pits, under the rust spots? Only a refinish from a skilled buffer jockey, will remove them.

Sometimes what is called surface rust, can be removed. With Nickel shavings. Used with a light solvent. This will not harm the original finish.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    kroil on a paper towel wrapped around the pistol let soak for 25 hours then use a brass pot scrubber and then wipedown with cloth with HOPPES#9
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a bead or soda blasted finish to me, buffing would be the wrong choice. There are chemical rust removers that would dissolve the "rust" on regular steel, not sure if they would work on stainless. I would consider a touch up if you have access to a cabinet. You could call Ruger about a re-finish, perhaps they would touch it up for free.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/sr1911/models.html

added https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=609263&SearchTerms=sr,191
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it polished or bead blast finish? My Mini-14 Stainless Ranch developed this fine brown spots. Used a bit of gun oil and really fine steel wool (4-0?). Later told steel wool gets embedded in the rifle but I had no issues.

for the polished stainless Flitz Polish?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,955 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure by what process the SR 1911s are finished, but both of mine look frosted. I would try Evapo-Rust.

https://www.evaporust.com/evapo-rust-rust-remover
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had bought a new SR 1911 and noticed the rust specks under the grips. From the internet I found that it was a common occurrence and found that the rust specks were almost impossible to remove. I ended up sending the pistol back to Ruger and asked for one without the rust specks and I also asked that they check under the grips first before sending it to me. I also posted a topic entitled something like "Ruger Rust Magnet" on this forum's active topics - you might want to search for it.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a stainless Springfield Armory that came in with rust flecks in the matte areas of the slide. The dealer offered to return it but it was a model being discontinued in favor of a new gun at much higher price, so I accepted it. Some oil and friction with a cloth removed the active rust. You can stll see little dark spots here and there but you really have to squint to make them out.

As Jeff Cooper said, you will do as you think best.