In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1894 25-35 rare

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
Looking at the GunBroker auctions for Winchester 1894 SRC 25-35 I find that a great number of them are listed as rare for the 25-35 chambering and was wondering just how rare are they. Any info always appreciated.

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on my current survey of serial numbers 1 - 1,000,000, there were approximately 103,843 Model 1894s made in 25-35 WCF. The ratio of "rifles" versus "carbines" was 57:42, which equates to just over 43,600 SRCs made in 25-35 WCF.
  • oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, as always does a great job with the specific data. I may be able to just add a little color to the discussion.

I was looking to buy a '94 SRC or post-war carbine in 25-35 last year and walked the May 2016 Denver Antique Arms show endlessly, I think I saw them all. I was shocked at the premiums sellers expected, just for that caliber. So many of the pre-war era SRCs had no finish at all on the receivers, but were still priced rediculously high. Even refinished guns and pure junk in that caliber carried stupid prices. I ended up with a near new carbine with frame mounted peep sight (I believe period correct but not factory) made about 1950. The seller seemed motivated and came off his asking price quite a bit. But I still believe I paid about twice what a similar 30-30 carbine would have cost.

So the caliber certainly does command a premium, whether it's rare or not I guess depends on your definition of "rare."
  • 338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the info also Bert for the additional statistics on the 25-35 chambering. Best Regards Terrill
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With recent write-ups in the major gun mags on Hornady's new .25-35 FTX ammo, and some of the new Miroku (Japanese) Winchester's now chambered in .25-35, these older guns may just sell a little quicker than in days past when the ammo was impossible to find.