In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

REVOLVER CYLINDER END SHAKE SHIMS

COPPER TOPCOPPER TOP Member Posts: 209 ✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
[:)]Several years ago I purchased some S&W cylinder end shake shims, but I cannot remember where I obtained them. Any help out there?

All The Best
Sammie Douan

Comments

• COPPER TOPCOPPER TOP Member Posts: 209 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)]Thanks, got it & done.

All The Best
    Sammie Douan
  • zvettezvette Member Posts: 118
    edited November -1
    Very informative, but this begs the question as to cylinder to barrel clearance. I would think you would want to minimize that clearance and wonder what is considered optimum.

The shims of course do not affect that max clearance, as they hold the cylinder at max barrel clearance.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .003 to .005 is acceptable. Making sure the crane is straight is important. Slamming them shut with the flick of the wrist Dick Tracy style will bend them.
    edited November -1
    [:)]Hi, Charlie/Zvett 06/17/2017
    Thanks for the replies. The cylinder was dragging against the barrel & had a large amount of end play. Is an aftermarket conversion, 1917 45 Auto Rim COLT with cylinder sleeved to 22 lr by someone in the distant past. quasi, home built/professional, some parts look to be factory, sleeves & star, barrel home built.

All The Best
    Sammie Douan
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    zvette,

quote:.003 to .005 is acceptable.

This, like so many details in gunsmithing, is dependent upon where you get your information. And in many of those cases it's like trying to pick fly poop out of pepper...

The variance can be as large as 0.003" to 0.008" depending upon your source. But, also as pointed out, alignment is key to the best operation of the revolver.

COPPER TOP,

I'm not picking on you at all but I happen to like the old 1917 in .45 AR as issued. The conversion you mention is similar to all the buzzardized (not my word) conversions of Siamese Mausers to .45-70, a true unadulterated tragedy without justification except for stupidity.[:(!] We have lost so many great firearms due to trendy ideas, usually proposed by ignorant gun writers, which eliminates those firearms from the pool of useable, historic firearms.

But, with the damage done (and not by you thankfully...), I hope the shims fix your problem and you get to enjoy some shooting.[:)]

Best.
    edited November -1
    [:)]Hi ALL, 06/17/2017

Thanks for all of the replies, I have been doing these kind of things for a living since 1960, don't have ask many questions, but appreciate all answers.

All The Best
    Sammie Douan
  • zvettezvette Member Posts: 118
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    .003 to .005 is acceptable. Making sure the crane is straight is important. Slamming them shut with the flick of the wrist Dick Tracy style will bend them.

Finally got around to measuring my S&W 357 Magnum. It measures .004 at all 6 cylinder chambers, and then with the cylinder shimmed forward it measures .003 which also corresponds to the .001 "end shake" I measure with a dial indicator. So right on with your guidance.