In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 45 ACP

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
I'm not a big handgun guy but ----Question. For $800.00 or less how do you compare the Ruger, vs the Remington in 45 ACP. I'm mostly interested in reliability, and function. Any other Sugestions, or recommendations, 5" bbl. THX GUYS

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would choose Ruger over Remington and Springfield over either.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger way above Remington. I've had a Ruger for 4 or 5 years now 7 it works all the time & is accurate. Good friend I shoot with almost every Sunday bought a Remington just about the same time, not so good.
    My Springfield V-16 longslide runs great also but was more money.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My observation of the Remington 1911 is that years ago (40+) when I was wanting to accurize a .45 1911 for Bullseye competition, it would have cost a lot of money to effect the close fit of slide to frame, barrel to bushing, locking lug of barrel to slide, etc. that comes "standard" on the Remington, thanks I suppose to the wonders of modern accurate CNC machining processes. I would guess that it might take some break-in time, or some polishing time, to make all those nice tight fits become slick and friction-reduced for perfect function. So I would consider a new Remington 1911 as a starting point for a very fine, accurate pistol, just needing a good break-in. As a carry pistol, same thing, lots of break in practice would slick it up, and you would get to know the handgun very well with all that practice. That said, I keep and cherish my 70 series Colt Gold Cup National Match! It remains a standard for the others to measure up to, or try to exceed.
  • Options
    0rangeD0rangeD Member Posts: 116
    edited November -1
    The ruger is probably better and ruger has better customer service. One thing you should keep in mind is that Remington has a $100 rebate right now. You can get the cheapest Remington 1911 for under $450 after the rebate.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am more familiar with shotguns than handguns - but I have a Colt series 70 - and I considerate it the "Gold Standard". I also have a series 80 and a Springfield (and a Springfield Omega 6-in long slide - ported) and the Springfield is head and shoulders over the Colt series 80. I suggest you save your pennies and go for a Colt series 70 or a older Springfield.

Because of what was done to my Bearcat and Single Six by a Ruger authorized repair station on a recall to install a "safety hammer block" - you could not hog-tie and give me a Ruger and require me to keep it.

Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AdamsQuailHunter
    I am more familiar with shotguns than handguns - but I have a Colt series 70 - and I considerate it the "Gold Standard". I also have a series 80 and a Springfield (and a Springfield Omega 6-in long slide - ported) and the Springfield is head and shoulders over the Colt series 80. I suggest you save your pennies and go for a Colt series 70 or a older Springfield.

Because of what was done to my Bearcat and Single Six by a Ruger authorized repair station on a recall to install a "safety hammer block" - you could not hog-tie and give me a Ruger and require me to keep it.

Best Regards - AQH

Every thing in the gun business, is driven by legal liability nowadays. And the thousands of bottom feeding lawyers, who make their livings by promoting and filing lawsuits. Against perceived safety lapses, in the firearms industry.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sort of fussy and want a hands on inspection to select the pistol. There are differences between any two that can be easily spotted if you know what to look for. Spend some time on youtube or perhaps get a book on tuning a 1911 first so you can learn what to look at.

IMHO if you shoot it enough it will need "rebuilt", somewhere in my collection I have 2 now smooth bore barrels from shooting mostly cast bullets. I think all production stuff would benefit from being slick up/deburred as covered in "tuning".

Acquire at least 5 good magazines, 10 would be better, I think I have around 25. I buy pistol brass by thousand, primers by the 5000 and powder by the biggest can/lot. Lyman 230 gr 452374 is a reliable feeder. Get a heavier recoil spring and cut it down to work with your load.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to check the gun out before I make a decision. Guns vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and gun to gun

I have a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup and just happened to look at some 1911's at a local guns store. After looking them over and testing them for feel and fit, I picked a Sig 1911. Probably the last one I would have guessed I would have chose.

The slide to frame fit was very tight and the trigger and feel was the closest of all of them to my Colt. The only thing that bugged me was the profile of the slide, but I got over that.

So without actually feeling the guns, it would be hard to say.