In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pillar bedding a Mauser

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
Bought a 4 piece pillar set for a LR 98 Brazilian Mauser. There are two regular pillars and 2 small spacers. With the larger rear pillar in place and using one of the small spacers in the front the action screws are flush. The top rear protrusion of the magazine fits into receiver and the follower seems high enough to feed a round but I do not have any loaded rounds to try it. However, there is a gap around the sides of the magazine and am concerned. I am preparing to glass bed the action to a used sporter stock.

Do I have a problem here or not?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I've 'built' m100's of mauser sporters and never 'pillared' one, a good glass bedding job is just as good. the 'gap' you noticed should be less than 1/16"
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I've 'built' m100's of mauser sporters and never 'pillared' one, a good glass bedding job is just as good. the 'gap' you noticed should be less than 1/16"

Is it a hunting or target rifle?
    If hunting, Mr. Whiskey is right.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY

Mike,

I'll measure the gap when I reassemble the receiver and and magazine. I'll also assemble a dummy round (243) and check the function.

Tflogger,

The rifle will be primarily for hunting. That said, I always try and wring out the best possible accuracy out each of my rifles. I may be sitting in a field and try some long range shots on ground dogs.

I bought the rifle used and received a reply from the former owner that provided his best load. Should be great starting point compared to trial and error.

Thanks guys for your input.

Jim
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've glass bedded several Mauser 98's and win 70's hunting rifles with 243 caliber custom barrels. (plus other calibers)
    Never needed to pillar bed a hunting rifle to get good consistent accuracy.
    I'm not familiar with your Mauser action though.

Most of the custom Mauser 98's and win 70's in 243 cal preferred H4350 powder and a 85 Gr bullet for good consistent accuracy. (but some have a mind of their own)

Main thing when you get thru bedding any of them is take a set of dial calipers and at the front of the wood at the barrel check to see that the action is dead as the front recoil screw is loosened and tightened with the others screws tight. No movement on the dial calipers and when you get one bedded like this you can remove and re-install the stock and the point of impact of the bullet at 100 yards will not change very much if any. Keep in mind that each .001 of movement of the dial caliper is about 1 inch at 100 yards.
    This confirms that the action is not warping when the screws are tightened and loosened.
    Of course I'm talking about a bedding job that the barrel is floated.

re-search such and you will get the idea.

Go ahead and pillar bed if you so desire since you have the stuff, but try the dial caliper test when you get to the final bedding.
    If you see the dial calipers moving, get back too us for how to skin bed to correct.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    victorj19,

I finally made it back so here is the short version.

There is always a gap between the top of the magazine and the bottom of the action. This is the standard fit of the two parts. The 1/16" is approximate although a good guidance.

Pillars are misunderstood and this discussion is no different.

Pillars are installed in most stocks to prevent compression of the stock material by tightening the action screws. Wood is bad enough since the fibers can be smashed and compressed causing accuracy problems. But even synthetics and fiberglass will suffer compression and if the screws can be overtightened. This applies not only to target actions but hunting actions as well.

So we install and glue in pillars either with epoxy or bedding compound to hold them in place while doing the final bedding. Remember to review the process of STRESS-FREE bedding as this is the clue to good, repeatable accuracy. We've written several posts on this and there are some good articles with photo illustrations.

Best.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    victorj19,

I finally made it back so here is the short version.

There is always a gap between the top of the magazine and the bottom of the action. This is the standard fit of the two parts. The 1/16" is approximate although a good guidance.

Pillars are misunderstood and this discussion is no different.

Pillars are installed in most stocks to prevent compression of the stock material by tightening the action screws. Wood is bad enough since the fibers can be smashed and compressed causing accuracy problems. But even synthetics and fiberglass will suffer compression and if the screws can be overtightened. This applies not only to target actions but hunting actions as well.

So we install and glue in pillars either with epoxy or bedding compound to hold them in place while doing the final bedding. Remember to review the process of STRESS-FREE bedding as this is the clue to good, repeatable accuracy. We've written several posts on this and there are some good articles with photo illustrations.

Best.

Excellent points.[;)]

and I've seen quite often where the magazine box has to be ground (shaved) off to get the slight gap and prevent stress to the action.