In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many 1873's were made that were .22 short?

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
I've got some notes here that say there were only 350 made, but another place I've looked says there were nearly 20,000. I'm trying to get this going tonight and don't want to put in false info. Any of you guys know how many of these there are?
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert sent over the answer, so I have the answer now. Its 19,552 if any of you are wondering.....thank you guys!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice gun. An 1873 .22 with a decent bore is really rare. They were sold without cleaning rods and of course the early rounds were corrosive black powder.

That gun's preservation was likely helped by it being one of the latest 1873 .22s made. I believe once Winchester brought to market the Model 1890, and others started making .22 repeaters, sales of '73 .22s fell off significantly. Can you imagine a 9 pound rifle in .22 short?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldWinchesterfan
    Nice gun. An 1873 .22 with a decent bore is really rare. They were sold without cleaning rods and of course the early rounds were corrosive black powder.

That gun's preservation was likely helped by it being one of the latest 1873 .22s made. I believe once Winchester brought to market the Model 1890, and others started making .22 repeaters, sales of '73 .22s fell off significantly. Can you imagine a 9 pound rifle in .22 short?

I can Imagine it, and would love to add one to my collection, that is in great shape, with a good to excellent bore...I want to shoot it!
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first American made .22 repeater. Like oldWinchesterfan said, the Model 1890 killed the sales.
    I've held one, never had one apart or got to shoot it. I've run across references to carrier block cartridge stops for .22 Short & Long, and .22 Extra Long?
    Bert, or any others have more info on this?
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 1873 is in 45/70.[:D]
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    you are talking about a 1873 sprinfield trapdoor aren,t you? as i don,t think the 45-70 will fit in the 1873 winchester lever action rifle. mr myopic.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy my 1906, not that I shoot shorts or longs that much.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    My 1873 is in 45/70.[:D]

Locust Fork is talking about a Winchester 1873 in 22 Short.
    Believe it or not, the "Long" is the more rare rifle!(in the Winchester 1873)