In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger super redhawk 454 casull value

CW1998CW1998 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hey guys. Long story short I recently got a ruger super redhawk 454 casual in a trade. I had 550 into the gun that I traded, and I inted to sell the redhawk. What would be a fair price to list it at (knowing that people will try to talk it down)? Thr gun is in great condition and came with a box of ammo and a holster. Any info would help me tremendously.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So you really need to be more specific as to what you have, - barrel length and condition are important selling features.

There are over 100 current listing, some with bids. If you sign up you can do a completed auction search for actual selling prices.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Firearms/BI.aspx?Keywords=Ruger+super+redhawk+454+casull&Sort=13
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CW1998,

Welcome to the GunBroker Forums!

We see a lot of buying, selling and trading in order to 'flip' a firearm for profit.

However, in this case, you should be aware that the market for the .454 Casull is very limited due to the extreme recoil exhibited by revolvers chambered for this cartridge. As has been pointed out in previous posts, you can usually find a nearly new revolver and a nearly full box of ammunition, missing only two or three cartridges.

For any of us to help with your question, please heed Charlie's suggestions along with some good, sharp photos for helping with determining condition.

Best.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only saving grace for any 454 Casull caliber revolver, as Nononsense noted. Is that it can be fired using common 45 LC ammo. The novelty of owning and shooting a 454 Casull, wears off mighty quickly for most folks. Not even considering, the cost of factory ammo.

If you put it on the auction. Emphasize that it's primarily meant to be shot using inexpensive, easy shooting 45 LC ammo. The 454 Casull only to be used in emergencies, like when Bengal tigers get into the back 40.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great gun. 454 Casull is a great caliber and used in my area for deer hunting. As above, state that it shoots 45 lc also. Right NOW, it is slow time here for anything but scarce collectables, unless it is cheap.
    Maybe start at 600 and go from there. Like above, loof at some auctions that REALLY SOLD the same thing.
    Nice to have a new member.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just sold mine on consignment. Went very quickly for $800.00. I also put up a Rossi carbine in .454 & there hasn't been much interest in it so far.
    I got mine several years ago in trade with someone on this site for a Ruger #1 rifle that I had paid something in the neighborhood of $300 for but that was MANY years ago.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To give you an idea for an answer to your question. The only one that has sold recently on the auction went for $625 which was the starting price. It was in good shape had a 7.5" barrel and included the box.

I have one just like it, I love it. However, like nononsense said, few people enjoy shooting them, they are knuckle manglers for most people and aren't for the weak of wrist or hand. I've let quite a few people shoot mine, none of them finished a cylinder of .454 loads.

My 10 year old shoots it with .45 colts in it. I generally shoot no more than 3 cylinders full of .454 loads during a range session. I've killed several deer with it, it's a great revolver.