In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading the .450 Bushmaster

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
I just started playing with a Ruger American with a 22" barrel. So far, I've tried only Lil' Gun and Win. 296 powder and am getting good groups when I can keep the extreme spreads down. But I noticed even factory ammo has 100+ extreme spreads. One of my 5-shot groups had an extreme spread of 268! Needless to say, that group had a lot of vertical stringing. Maybe it's the small rifle primer?

I'm not finding a lot of reloading data for this cartridge, yet. My Hornady manual has it but that's about it. I wonder if 2400 or Accurate #9 would be good powders for this cartridge. Anyone have experience with this one?

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try the various powder company's web sites. They have loads for some fairly rare rounds. Sierra's phone line to their ballistian is good as well.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loaded for a lot of the old 19th Century, BP cartridges years ago. When I wasn't using either a full case of BP. Or a duplex load with 10% of 4756.

Found that a large capacity case. With smokeless that didn't fill the case wasn't accurate. Either find a powder that safely fills the case to the base of the bullet. Or use light loads fast burning pistol powder. With a filler,(corn meal/dacron), between the base of the bullet and the powder.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting cartridge. It reminds me of a beltless 450 marlin short. IMR 4198, RX7 and perhaps down to IMR 3031.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/882.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.450_Bushmaster
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

quote:Either find a powder that safely fills the case to the base of the bullet.

The lack of percentage of fill is what is driving you crazy. The ES is drastically affected by less than full case performance, resulting in aberrations (large variations in ES). The powder position in the case is not repeatable since the powder doesn't fill the case completely.

One of the simplest places to start is with IMR Trail Boss powder. You can have 100% fill yet attain only very low velocities, some approaching subsonic, without the wild variations in ES.

Most of the other loads suggested will run from the lower 70% fill to a high of 85%, still leaving plenty of room for the powder to shift.

Best.
  • Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1