In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 ammo question

solosiersolosier Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Years ago I was buying .223 ammo supposedly canadian 62gr at the shows in lake county, and it had loaders and strippers made of plastic that could also be burned as a solid fuel. Does anyone know where to find this again. Thanks for the read..

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM Shriner Life Member

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    We were told that the best round for this caliber is the SS109 ammo with the green teflon tip. Anyone know where you can get this ammo or what distributors carry it if any. We have never heard of it. Thanks...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a Colt AR-15. This is the first .223 I have owned.I am looking to purchase 500/1000 rounds at a time.What is the best ammo for the dollar? I heard bad things about the wolf/russian stuff.
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Southern Ohio Gun (Lebanon, Ohio) and J&G Sales (Arizona) are good sources at fair prices.
  • Options
    jgill13jgill13 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree w/ ref44, J&G is a good source for the ammo. I don't like the Wolf/Russian ammo as much as the other brands because I think it fouls up your weapon faster w/ fewer rounds than other brands. I use and like the south african .223, my weapon doesn't get nearly as dirty shooting it as it does w/ the cheaper Wolf ammo.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    STAY AWAY FROM WOLF AMMO. If you have a SKS or AK fine but no steel case in the AR. ANother place to look is www.aimsurplus.com. They usually always have good deals.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GUNSHOW's GUNSHOW's GUNSHOW'sIf you're looking into bulk purchases, do some research.Remeber that you will have to pay shipping on mail-order ammo, and it weights alot. Not only that but you'll have to pay an extra Haz-Mat fee and it will only be shipped via ground.I usually find the same ammo at gunshow's for usually the same price advertised in various magaines, no sales tax, no shipping. If your going to be shooting alot you may look into reloading, it will not only save you alot of money, but you will also be able to make up your own special loads for your gun.
  • Options
    biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stay away from the wolf crap. check out www.ammoman.com for decent prices and free s&h most of the time
  • Options
    edited November -1
    my dad used to reload a lot, he said he is willing to give me his equipment. I am still new into this, i am only 23 (I pick up my first Ar-15 tomorrow!!!! stupid waiting period) But grew up around them, as in "dad handed me the gun to shoot, and he cleaned em" so I still have a lot to learn.Is reloading really worth it? I mean, I just ordered South African ammo at .14 each. How long does it take to reload each shell casually working? I would find it hard to justify spending more than 30 seconds on each round.
  • Options
    Mr. TimMr. Tim Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not about the time reloading or the money savings it's about the accuracy that you will be able to achieve!!!!I have an AR -15 and the best groups that I got using just about all the different factory ammo that I could get a hold of was apx. 1.75" @ 75 yds. When I started reloading for my AR it went down to apx.3/4" @ 75 yds. Not to mentoin that it kicks less and thier is less smoke and foul smell. The wolf ammo,I tried it and it jammed at least 1/2 of the time and quite honestly I don't think I could of hit the brod side of a barn if I were in it with that junk! If you reload buy your componets in bulk and this will help save you money. Also TAKE YOUR TIME, remember it does you no good to have 30 rounds in your clip if it takes 29 of them to hit your target. Good Luck; Mr. Tim
  • Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    If it,s a single stage press, it will take more than 30 seconds. You have to do 4 seperate stages. If progressive, it's a snap. A reload will cost apprx. $.09 per round. I have purchased Win., S. Af., and brands I can't remember. If they are Mil. Spec. there is not much difference. I'm not a bench rest comp. shooter, just a plinker. They have all given acceptable accuracy. Have never bought Wolf because of the steel cases.[This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 09-20-2001).]
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Piggy 100% about starting with a single stage, espically if its FREE! That way you can get a feel for what you are doing before investing in a progressive unit. Not only can you see if its something you'll enjoy, maybe your dad can help speed up the learning curve! I can reload 100 .223 for about what it costs to buy 20 rounds of surplus with .25" to .5" groups at 100 yds.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote with leeblackman.GUNSHOWS....At the big ones, I've found that you can always find what you're looking for at a fair price. I've burned a lot of Wolf in my Commander with no problems. But it'll eat anything. Like the guys said...I'd hesitate to use it in your the AR-15.Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry!Let me update that.Anyone who CAN carry, BETTER carry.