In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta tomcat 32 any good?

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Any body have any experinces with the Beretta Tom cat 32?

Comments

• Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 1. Never had a problem with it. It isn't 1 I use for much target practice so it hasn't been fired a ton. I keep it in my car for emergencies. I also like it because I can slip it discreetly into a pocket.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Bought one about 5 weeks ago. I was VERY surprised that it was as accurate as it is. Like rmeyer said, it slips into the pocket very well and is a nice little gun to handle. I've only put 300 rounds through this one, but it has functioned flawlessly. I own 4 other Beretta's, and this one is a good in quality as the others. I'm very happy with it and would not hessitate to recommend it if that is the size of gun you are interested in. It's no Saturday night special, that's for sure!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the Tomcat was announced, I immediately put in an order for a blue one, which took a lot longer than the matte to get. Having other .32 pistols like the Seecamp, I wanted to compare the Tomcat.When I finally got my Tomcat, I was shocked at how big and how heavy it is. (I had seen it at the SHOT Show when it was introduced, but did not recall it being so big and heavy.) It weighs about as much as a steel-cylinder Airweight J-frame Smith (14.5 ounces) and is nearly as fat. It is a blow-back so recoil is sharper than one might expect.Compared to a Kel-Tec P32, it is bigger, heavier, does not have a locked breech and costs a lot more. Regardless of price, the Kel-Tec wins hands down for me. For a pistol smaller and lighter (12.5 ounces) than the Tomcat with more power (.380) and no more (maybe less) recoil, try the locked breech Colt Pony Pocketlite Lightweight.I love Berettas, and the Tomcat has the typical superior Beretta fit and finish, but when a new design is announced, it must be at least equal to the competition, and preferably superior. In my opinion, the Tomcat is not competitive. All the Tomcat has going for it is the tip-up barrel. If that feature is important (it is to some for ease of loading and unloading), go with the Tomcat. Otherwise, try a Kel-Tec P32 or Colt Pony.In my opinion, and I do not mean to offend anyone who uses a Tomcat as a car gun, the purpose of these small guns is to make them easy to conceal on one's person. If one is not carrying the small gun, but instead using it for off-body defense, why not go with something with a lot more power. A compact 9x19 will fit in a glove box about as easily as will a Tomcat, and will offer more firepower and more stopping power. The Kel-Tec P11 comes to mind. (Eleven rounds of 9x19 in a package not much bigger than a Tomcat.) As a plus, if someone steals the car with a P11 in the glove box, you have not lost a collector's item. (A friend a few years ago lost a mint old Chief's Special along with his new Suburban. OK, so the Tomcat is not a collector's item either, but I think the point is still valid.)