In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ATF Inspection

jdchasejdchase Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Heard that the inspector wants to come out. I have a C&R license and have never been inspected, in fact I didn't think I would be. What should I expect and what do I need to do to prepare?

Comments

• Options
    32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to know also. As a C&R I know I'm subject to a 'look see' of my records, particularly concerning pistols, but is there anything else?
  • Options
    jdchasejdchase Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update: So it turns out that a guy I sold a gun to on AA a while back who was unhappy with the sale, reported me as using my C&R to sell guns for profit. Apparently they only inspect C&Rs if there is a problem of some kind. The inspector was a nice lady who asked several questions regarding how many guns I sell (dispose of). I asked if I was in trouble... she said she just investigates, she doesn't make any determinations. Wonderful.
  • Options
    32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's news. 'For profit' is an IRS matter if there's a question of Capital Gains/Losses, or a State matter concerning a business licence. If a significant portion of your income derived from C&R trades, then the ATF would be very concerned: An FFL would be necessary, and you may be in trouble. A C&R can acquire all he wants, but take care in selling parts of your collection, record and tax wise.
  • Options
    byron2112byron2112 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow,that sucks.Please keep us informed of what happens.I've been thinking of getting one of these ,but if its just an excuse for more government intrusion/harassment I think I'll pass.So let me get this straight,with a C&R you can buy but cannot trade up or selloff for other peices(normal collector activity)without some red flag going up in a Washington bunker?You cannot make any profit even though your paying for a licence?
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys,Forgive my ignorance - I'm pretty nre here. What is a C&R? Why would I need this to buy firearms?Thanks,Jeff
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CBXJEFFF- A C&R is a curio and relic license. It is not required to purchase a firearm.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    An old friend of mine was hit by the ATF for selling too many guns on a C&R. The agent told him that it was more related to the number sold vs. the number purchased, but if 5 or more guns were sold a year, it would probably constitute a business. That's a crock! Who could live on the profits of 5 gun sales a year? I guess it depends on what you sell and to whom you sell it!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Byron2112, As I understand it the C & R gives a person a legal means of buying C & R guns in your state of residence or outside it without going through a ffl holder. For selling, the C & R holder has exactly the same rights as an unlicensed person. As I see it, the only way red flags would go up in Washington is if you buy two or more handguns in a 5 day period from the same ffl. That triggers a form having to be sent in to BATF.