In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt model 1901

largeolargeo Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
i have a colt model 1901 that i need some info on. it has colt king-super target stamped on the barrel as well as us army model 1901 stamped on the butt plate. it is a .38 special, and i've been told it is on a .45 frame. can anyone give me some info on this gun? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Andrew, help the man!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's take this a step at a time. The gun no doubt started life as a Model 1901 "New Army", probably in .38 Long Colt (the .38 Special was not offered in this revolver).The gun is built on what is popularly called the ".41 frame" that, with some modifications, continued through the Python.At some time, the gun was modified by (probably) replacing the barrel and cylinder and smoothing the action. Perhaps the lanyard ring was removed as well.Have adjustable sights been added? If so, it sounds like some of the custom work being done by King's Gun Shop back in the 1950's.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com