In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning vs. Remington Rifles

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Looking for a new deer tipper. Should I go with a Browning A-Bolt or a Remington BDL? I am looking for a great rifle: floated barrel, synthetic stock, great long-range accuracy, good trigger pull, etc. You know, something to hand down to my kids.Brian

Comments

• RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Helloooooo??? Anybody out there?
  • NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an A-bolt in 7mm Mag, I love the rifle, has a 3-9X40 leo on it. Shoots groups of just less then 3/4 of an inch with factory ammo all day long. Picked the browning over the remington only because my dad has one and at the time I was living at home. Remington is a great rifle as well, I am sure I will pick one up here in the next few years. You cant go wrong either way.
  • lonegunman68lonegunman68 Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Redleg....I like both rifles and currently own both. I do prefer the Browning A-bolt over the 700 though. I like the shorter bolt throw (60 degrees as opposed to the 90 degree throw) and I like Brownings "wood" better than Remington's. In a world where there are so many good choices its hard to go wrong with either one. I do draw the line in the sand when it comes to Ford's....Chevy is the only way to go!! :-)
  • buckdodgerbuckdodger Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning is made in Japan and Remington is made in the USA. The choice should be easy.....REMINGTON!
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Both are good, but I like the Remington a little better. I can't really say why, it just feels a little better to me.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are good choices, my favorite would be the Browning Stainless Stalker, I like the short throw bolt and quick detach magazine.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington might be getting a bit cute with the "gun safety" crowd. Apparently they have just signed on something involving Smith and Wesson.How about a winchester?
  • Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the chance two shoot both side by side and I would go with the browning. (Actually I'll be buying one in 300 wsm shortly) The short bolt throw and the detachable mag are sweet.
    "Protect the Right to Protect yourself"
  • DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a Browning White Gold Medallion in .270 on GB auction a few days ago. I don't know if it's still there, but I thought that was one of the most magnificent-looking, reasonably priced guns I've ever seen. It was NIB and the current bid was about $850 (reserve not met). I was seriously thinking about bidding on it, but I just picked up a couple other new toys today, so I guess that won't be happening soon.You mentioned floating barrels. I bought a Sako Model 75 a few months ago and absolutely love it. It has some standard features that you may not get with the others you mentioned. I don't want to sway your decision about the Remington or Browning because both companies make great products and I'm very happy with the rifles I own from each. Just thought I'd throw in another you may not have considered.