In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Seecamp and other mouseguns-JudgeColt,anyone

byron2112byron2112 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I checked out a bunch of mouse guns(.32 and smaller) recently and have a couple a questions for you all.Normally I wouldn't even consider the Seecamp due to outragous pricing,but my dealer has one for $400+(says they finally made a production run)NIB.I'm wondering if these are truly superior in accuracy and reliability.If so I'd be willing to spend the extra $100 over a Beretta,NAA .ect.Is the .22 long rifle really much weaker than the .32?If not I'd prefer the .22 since I have other guns in this calibur.Can you use the high velocity .22 ammo in these popguns?Is the Kel-Tec junk?I know there's a big following for these.Some people hate em',some say they just need alittle owner TLC.They look like a toy and are so light I'm sure I'd never know it was there,plus the price is right.Is this Colt Pony Pocket Light(say that 3 times fast)that JudgeColt recommends a double or single action?The .22's and .32's are basically the same size(real tiny) and IMO the only true pocket guns.The .380's I looked at were not much smaller than the smallest 9mm's,so I figure why bother with .380?Thanks for your insights,Byron

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .32 is a much better choice than the .22 for a couple of reasons. One, you will get more energy with the .32, although that is not such a big factor with guns/calibers of this size (none of 'em are anywhere near even a .38 Special in the energy department). The big reason is reliability. The .22LR is not well known for reliability in the ultra-small guns, especially carried in a pocket or other lint-filled place.The Seecamp is a nice pistol, but it is not $250-$300 nicer than the Kel-Tec. The Kel-Tec is lighter, and after a short break-in period, very reliable. Definitely NOT junk.I carry a P32 in my pants pocket daily, especially when heat/humidity make it impractical to carry my 1911.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have carried a NAA .32 in my hip pocket for a year now. I prefer the Glock 36 in my car floorboard; but there are times when a larger gun simply won't go where I need to go...with any degree of comfort. The fellow from whom I bought the NAA had had some reliability work done on it; I have found it to be 100% with any .32 ammo.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems as if I have been on my soapbox about these issues a lot lately. Look down the boards and you will find my opinion and those of others on the various mouseguns.In regard to the worth of the Seecamp, only you can decide if it is worth the money. For the money, you will get a very high quality pistol that is slightly smaller than all the rest, but it is a lot heavier than the Kel-Tec P32. I always like to have the real thing instead of a copy, so I would choose the Seecamp over all the rest of the steel .32s if the weight and lack of sights do not bother you.Weight is my big thing so I have not carried my Seecamp since the Kel-Tec P32 became available. Although bigger, the P32 is so much lighter and thinner that it is easier for me to carry than the smaller Seecamp. The P32 has sights, which have received mixed reviews. Some like them, some do not. For me, they are usable, but not great.The light weight of the Kel-Tec means more to me than its slightly larger size. As I recall (without checking), the Seecamp weighs about 11 ounces, the Kel-Tec P32 about 6 ounces and the Colt Pony Pocketlite Lightweight about 12.5 ounces. I dehorned and further lightened my Pony so it is a bit lighter than originally and significantly smaller without the excessively long tang. The locked breech of the P32 and Colt Pony are unique among the mounse guns, and make their recoil a lot less than the blow-backs. Yes, the .22LR is a lot weaker than the .32ACP. There are some hot .32 loadings available for the .32 mouseguns that are said to be farily effective stoppers. The Kel-Tec will handle any .32 loading, while the Seecamp is restricted to the W-W Silvertip.The Kel-Tec P32 is not junk, but quality is variable. Most work right out of the box, but some need a little tuning, which is detailed on the owner's group web site. Anyone who is having trouble with a P32 who does not want to self-tune can send back a pistol and will receive great and rapid service.The Colt Pony Pocketlite is double-action-only. The trigger pull is pretty good. The sights are very good. The Pony is as small or smaller and lighter than several of the .32 mouseguns. In my opinion, if one needs more power than the P32, the next stop should be the Pony. Why did Colt discontinue it? There was (is) nothing like it.In my opinion, if one needs more power than the .380, the next stop is the Kel-Tec P11. It is as small or smaller than most .380s and holds 10+1 of 9x19 power. It weighs 14 ounces without magazine. All Kel-Tec pistols are double-action-only.Hope this helps with your decision. Let us know what you select.