In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

L.C.SMITH Date and value Please

modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have had a love affair with L.C.s for years and have traded for all.Now I find I need to sell one that I know little about.I am hopeing to find out here enough to advise a buyer on a little something.The serial Number is 41xx.The barrels are,or appear to be damascus.The only thing marked besides the ser # is the pat dates,which are;Mar 29,83 , July 13 86,Oct 5 86.The small ends of the side plates have the name on them but no other letters or numbers anywhere aside from the ser # on all parts.Some one thought that it is an 0 grade since it has damascus barrels.I don't know.The wood on both ends is very good and the checkering is rather coarse.Nice job but the squares are large. Very clean gun with case colors obvious on side plates,barrels are mostly brown.The bores are shiney,pistol grip is knob style, Double triggers,Butt stock has original butt plate,some use markes on butt but no cracks or gouges.The ejectors work perfectly as does the three position safety.There are a couple of dings in the barrels but nothing to cause problems.The barrels are 30 1/2" long.Well that is all that I can think of.If you have any further questions you can contact me at fatalbrt@cdsnet.net---Thanks for the information.modoc aka Bill

Comments

• Options
    LanceLance Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill:My resource is PLANS & SPECIFICATIONS OF THE L.C. SMITH SHOTGUN by William Brophy (Brownell & Son, Montezuma, IA,1981). This is probably the best available book on these guns.It has inspection drawings, diagrams, etc. for most Smith guns. However, Brophy wrote that all serial number records and most production records for Syracuse guns did not survive. And it is likely that drawings and specifications in the book do not pertain to these gusn either.1880-1887 "L.C. Smith, Syracuse, N.Y." made 6223 hammer and hammerless guns. Alexander Brown, an employee, designed and patented idea that became the hammer version in 1884. In 1886, the hammerless version entered the market.Syracuse guns are marked:L.C. Smith, Maker, Syracuse, New YorkLance
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Most probably a Syracuse gun made before 1890. If a graded gun, then the serial should indicate such... And you made no reference to it.Damascus would be expected in the 1880's as nitro proofed guns were yet to appear. I believe yours is a field gun.Value - Hard to say with out seeing. Being a Syracuse gun will count in its favor. Damascus will do the opposite. 12 ga. is most common and smaller bores will bring a premium.So... The rule of thumb I use is that your gun will bring about $100.00 less than a nitro gun made by Hunter in similar condition. If there are features you didn't mention, then it may be a different ballgame.A nice Elcee by Hunter will fetch between $650.00 and $800.00 in 12 ga. Double that for a 20 ga.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen,thank you both for the enlightenments as to my L.C. Seldom do I have to ask for such,but I don't have the neccessary books which cover this one.Love the old girls.Must get Brophy's book.Thanks again.Bill