In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-338?????

sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Talked to a guy that was gushing about his 30-338. After listening to him it sounded like something I should own. Went through my books and decided it was just a 300 Win Mag. Case capacity and measurements were almost identical. 300 Win Mag and the 338 were released the same year and based on the same case. OK guys, what am I missing???

Comments

• Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    I dont't know what your missing, but I think the .338 win and .264 win were released the same year (50's or something) with the .300 win coming out sometime later!(some help I am huh)[This message has been edited by stanman (edited 09-20-2001).]
  • Options
    MAD DAWGMAD DAWG Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .300 Win Mag was the standard 'Magnum' long range target cartridge from shortly after its' inception until just the last 10 to 12 years - when the new generation of VLD bullets gave the .224 and 6mm rounds all of the ballistic advantages of the .300 with a lot less powder and bullet cost, a lot less throat erosion hence longer barrel life, and a LOT less recoil.The .30-338 was the solution to the sole problem with the .300 Win when it reigned supreme. The .300 Win has a very short neck. This affords minimal bullet support, particularly in a rifle that is best fed from the magazine - in a game where perfect ammo is must. The .30-338 is essentially a longer necked version of the .300 Win - giving more bullet support for maintaining bullet alignment when the cartridges are fed from a magazine, or otherwise 'roughly' handled.Best....!
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You Dawg. Makes sense now.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The following info is from Cartridges of the World by Barnes.The .338 Win Magnum was brought out in 1958.The .30-338 wildcat quickly followed and it and the .308 Norma Magnum are practically the same thing. The .300 Win. Magnum has a slightly longer body (by about .12") and a shorter neck than its predecessors. The .300 Winchester Magnum was introduced in 1963.
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30-338 basically became obsolete when Winchester introduced the the 300 Win. Mag. Some people believe that because of the longer neck the 30-338 is a more accurate round.
    "They that would give up liberty to obtain safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"Benj. Franklin, 1759