In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mini 14 vs. Mini 30

gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I saw a Mini 30 the other day at the gun shop. I thought it was cool, so I decided to get one later on. It was $550. I started thinking. $550's kinda steep for what will just be another plinker. I thought I might get a Mini 14 for now and get the 30 later. Is the 14 much cheaper than the 30? Would I have just as much fun plinking with .223 as 7.62x39? Also I'm probably gonna get an AK of some type within the next six months so that's why I started considering the 14 originally.-Marcus

Comments

• smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the AK before the mini 14/30. Ak's are quickly disappearing besides starting to get pricey and are banned from further importation. Then mini's have and will be here for a long time. Why dont you go one step up and get an M14/M1A1. will outshoot all three firarms combined, Guaranteed!.good luck,-Smooth
  • KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there isnt that much in price difference, i bought my mini-14 for $414.00 (it was NOT the ranch version) I do like it very much. the only real difference between the too is the round and the fact that its hard to find high cap mags for the 30. I agree with smooth though, i would tell you to get an ak-47 if you want a 7.62....MUCH MORE FUN!
  • ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AK ammo can be found for $79 or less per case of 1000. Hard to beat that. Mini's are good guns, but don't expect top accuracy if you scope it. There is a machinist in Connecticut who does fine trigger jobs on Mini's at a fair price and fast turnaround.
  • gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was also concerned about using Wolf ammo in the Mini 30. I've heard lots of bad stuff concerning Wolf casings being too heavy for the extractors in US manufactured guns. If anyone has used lots of Wolf ammo in their Mini 30, I'd like to hear if you've had problems or not.-Marcus
  • landislandis Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Mini 30 + Wolf 7.62 + my abuse X (500+rounds, cleaning every 100 rounds or so) = No problems so far...I will let you know..
  • wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you are wanting a 223 and not accuracy get the mini 14. otherwise get an ar15 variant. maybe a little more money but worth it in the long run. for the 7.62 x 39 I would recomend a russian made ak or sks.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GRAVEDIGGER,I've had my mini-30 for about 2 years and I only use (cheap) wolf ammo. Never had any problems yet. Makes me wonder who these people are out there who are always bashing russian ammo? and also why they insist on spending $5-$8 a box to plink with. -Ralph