In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK47 bullpup kit

smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
A few years ago, I recall seeing a bullpup kit for an AK47. These were widely sold in the shotgun news and the actual product outcome looks awesome. I was wondering if anyone knew if these kits are still around and where... Also, how sturdy and reliable are they? I have a MAADI and was thinking of getting one ( if I can find it) for myself.thanks,Smooth

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your talking about the AKU-94 Bull-Pup Conversion. Federal Arms Corp has them in their latest catalog, $219.95 Phone # is (763) 780-8780. This is the one that has the green furniture and real tall (looks like 2 1/2") front sight? The only thing I would wonder about is the trigger, its got to be controlled by some kind of stiff wire. The Bushmaster M17 is a simular setup with the trgger about 12" in front of the hammer/sear and it has a flat steel "wire" that connects the two ... gives an odd feel to the trigger ... almost mushy.Anyway let us know if you do it & if you like it!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Kid, You dont by any chance have the website for Federal Arms corp do you? Also now that I know where to get it, I'm looking for someones opinion on these as far as function and reliability is concerned.thanks,-Smooth
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got thier new catalog, no web site listed in contact info ...I've seen a few at a gunshows 2-3 years ago, Although I thought they looked kinda cool ... I wasn't too impressed after further inspection, plastic looked and felt good but it had a tie-strap on it so I couldn't try the trigger, no way to mount any kind of optics as it had a shroud that went over the top and down both sides ... so you couldn't even use a side mount scope without some major modification to shroud. Kit front sight clamped on to original sight giving it an un-reliable look (looked like it could be damaged easily)I imagine it would be as reliable as the gun it was built up from as there is no modification the the firing pin/bolt carrier/mag ... just moving the trigger & housing forward ...
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    PathfinderPathfinder Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned one of these for a short period. It was built on a Romanian kit and you are correct about the "mushy" trigger. The rear site is more of an AR15 type setup, with two apertures for long or short range shooting. The front site is elevated to accomodate the modified rear site. While the gun looks bitchin' if I may use the term, it was somewhat awkward at the range due to your face being so close to the receiver during fire. Not a big deal, but after a couple of mags it becomes a little uncomfortable. The plastic you mentioned which overlaps the receiver cover on the left side is there to protect your face from the heat of the gun as the receiver warms up. As for mounting a scope on this thing, the cheek weld is going to be somewhat awkward unless you went with a low-profile red dot or something of that nature. A fullsize scope would be difficult to use, not to mention very impractical to mount. If you get one of these, be careful cleaning it because the plastic is a bit on the cheap side and doesn't hold up well to chemicals. As for sturdiness and reliability, the kit was fairly well made. Probably the weakest point in it was the slotted plastic piece which is riveted to the receiver cover. The rivets aren't particularly beefy, but general care would prevent them from breaking. As for the front site being clamped on, it seemed very sturdy. The ergonomic pistol grip was exceptionally comfortable. [This message has been edited by Pathfinder (edited 09-22-2001).]