In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-250caliber.....need feedback please

At_The_GatesAt_The_Gates Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Hail to all my brothers!Hey guys. Like you and many other of my brothers, i went target practicing these past weekend (you know to shoot at Usama Bin Ladin's pictures). I met these kid who had a winchester 22-250 bolt action rifle. Its the very first time I have ever shot a bolt action rifle of any kind..anyways I LOVE THE DAMNED GUN. I was very accurate with it and I hit Usama 5 times out of 6. Im in the mood to get a rifle on these caliber....GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK ON THESE CALIBER GOOD OR BAD. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    The Big MacThe Big Mac Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUST ABOUT THE BEST VARMIT CALIBER OUT. I HAVE ONE IN BULL BARREL & MAUSER ACTION. IT SHOOTS ONE (1) HOLE FROM THE BAGS OUT TO 200 YARDS. LOOK AT REM. 700'S --GOOD LUCK THE BIG MAC
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Super fast bullet. Shoots a vert flat trajectory. Good energy with the proper bullet. I've killed Texas White Tail with no problem. It is a good caliber if you're not moose hunting.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite was 788 remington, But, alas, no handloading. Couldn't hardly open the bolt.Did all the things, You name it I did it to try to keep the gun.After I broke the bolt handle and had it fixed, the orginal owner said "I sure wish I had that rifle back" Guess what, I now have a 700 rem. And no problems. I really recomand the 700
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Savage 22-250 in the 12 series VERY ACCURATE and at a decent price.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi there,My first was a Mossberg 800M.It was cheap so I could try out the cartridge.With all its short comings it beat several customs and Remingtons and Mod 70 Wins and all types. No you don't have to believe me,I can't even believe it at times.Satisfied that the 22-250 was for me I haven't been without one now for thirtyfive years.The cartridge is fantastic in about any gun you find it in.My present is in a custom Mauser with a Chic Donnally barrel.SOOO SWEEET.I have never seen a gun in that cal.that wouldn't shoot.I hear that Savage has put together a really nice rifle and the one from Marlin is a shooter. So many that it is difficult to decide.Personally I love Mauser 98s so nearly all of mine are based on them.One drawback is the value is hard to recover if you want to trade it off.The factory guns realize a more even value when selling.Good luck.@ 22-250 forever
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with this caliber is limited to custom Mausers, so I won't get in the fight about which manufacturer---that being said, the caliber is very accurate, flat shooting, and easy recoil. You didn't say what you intend to use it for--varmits, target, etc. It is a 250 yd cartridge for varmits but capable of kills beyond that. Because of the lightness of the bullet(s), it loses energy rapidly, and I am sorry to say that I have lost groundhogs well hit at 250 yds. IMHO the cartridge doesn't qualify as a deer cartridge, and it's use should be limited to varmits and paper. If you are looking for a varmit/paper/deer cartridge, consider the 25-06, particularly with handloads.
  • Options
    biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    been shooting the 22-250 in several different rifles for over 30 years and love the cartridge. I have wacked crows, coyotes, woodchucks, and the occasional cat from 75 to well beyond 300 yards. The biggest problem you'll face is full value winds as they can really push your bullet sideways. Shot at 350 yds one afternoon with a 15-20mph full value wind and had to adjust the scope for 14 inches off center to get into the ten ring.have fun with the 22-250 and don't look back!!
  • Options
    The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll be honest. I think it's a great cartridge. I have one in a Remington 700 Heavy Varminter. I have 2 .220 Swifts. Don't rule the Swift out. The theory of excessive throat wear is hogwash. Any caliber, 22-250 included, pushing a pill at 3500fps or better is going to erode the throat. There are a host of cleaning supplies on the market today, they clean the barrels better, and that in turn, will prolong the life of your barrel. I truly do love the swift, and it will do all the 22-250 will do and more. I have a Remington VSSF in that caliber, that I'd put up against any factory 22-250. It may just be one of those that come off the assembly line, that everything is right. I have heard of the spectactular killing power of the 22 calibers on whitetails, and this year, The Pennsylvania Game Commission wants to decimate all the deer in this state, so I am going to field test the Swift on deer. I'm going to load to Max, I've selected the Barnes X bullet, because it is solid copper, and will not fragment as easily. I do expect awsome shocking power, and one shot,drop in their track results. I am going to limit my shots, and only take standing or walking shots in the field. I do agree with laxcoach also, I also have 2 25-06's, and personally do not believe they make a better deer cartridge. I have had good results with the 25-06, don't rule it out either.
  • Options
    At_The_GatesAt_The_Gates Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys thanks for taking time to answer my reply!Quick question ..... Its these a good caliber for me to start practicing "sniping" or precision shooting or should i go with .308 caliber or other caliber? Please don't refer me to a 300magnum. I shoot on today and it * hurts man.Thanks in advance
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any of the calibers "The Butcher" mentioned are good accuracy calibers. I like the 22-250 & 220 swift though. Either will shoot from a bench or bipod 1/2 groups or better at 100 yards. At 200 yds from a bench I have shot less than 1 inch groups with hand loads. In either case you will be at the gates of happiness with either one. RG