In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

03-A3 magazine feed problem

PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
My 03-A3 has some feed difficulty from the magazine. When loaded with 5 cartridges, first two feed OK, then #3, on right side, tips down at front and jams against front of magazine well. If I push it back and down and feed it on through, #4 on left is OK, then #5 on right tips down at nose and jams. Spring and carrier look OK, are unmodified; the problem appears to be a protrusion on right side of receiver is supposed to hold back cartidge case at shoulder, but isn't quite catching, not pronounced enough, and no adjustment (part of forging). Same problem various types ammo. Any ideas for fixing?

Comments

• Options
    AH64guyAH64guy Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had two problems with mine. #1 was reloaded ammo with soft points a couple hundredths over length.#2 was weak magazine spring allowing the heavier weight of the bullet to push the front of the follower down and lodge the tip of the cartridge against the forward wall of the magazine well. I had to buy a new follower spring and resize my reloads. I can look up the e-mail of a seller I know if you need new 03 and 03A3 parts.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had substituted various brands and styles of commercial, and milsurp ammo, none fared any better than another. And, I had picked up, and changed, the magazine follower spring, and even the follower, at Springfield Sporters, but no change. Indeed the left-side cartridge drags the right side one below it forward, then the bolt won't push it forward and up, but rather the nose tips down and jams to the front of the magazine well. It looks like a slight shoulder on action rail side is supposed to stop this from happening, but I don't know for sure, and there is nothing replaceable. The rifle is a near-cherry Smith-Corona O3-A3, never been modified as near as I can tell. Anyone with any other ideas?