In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

--------Rem 700 caliber change---------

moredesmoredes Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
If I need to change out a .308, can I change calibers just by having a 'smith install a .300 WM barrel? Does the action need modifying? How is the headspace checked and then adjusted? What should this caliber change cost if I provide the barrel? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not gonna work. The .300 Win Mag requires a long action, and the boltface is larger.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    moredesmoredes Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doctor,Thanks for your reply. I want to go to a heavy barrel of some kind for long range competition. What brand barrel would you suggest? Does fluting really help dissipate heat proportionately to its' cost? [This message has been edited by moredes (edited 09-23-2001).]
  • Options
    buck007buck007 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to have with a long action receiver to start with. The feed rails need to be opened up for the larger Dia. shell. The bolt face has to be opened up also, for the larger shell base. You would be cheeper off to trade or buy a new factory rifle that is already in that cal. I have gone down that road before,and I would not do it again. But if you really want to do it, Go For It.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could go to the 300 WSM,that is what it was designed for.Rechamber and open the bolt face.