In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone own a Norinco 97

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I finally got mine out of Lay-Away, took it out and shot it. It was fun, but the action is very, very tight. Now its in about 500 pieces on my livingroom floor, like most my guns after I just get them. I really like it, but it is really cheaply manufactured. It has horribly deep tool marks. I already started polishing the internals. Its going to be alot of work, I really wish my old, old, worn out dremel still worked.Anyone know any particularly special things I can do to the inside to speed it up?Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know what to do.Take that commie thing out to the garbage can and releave yourself of junk.I'd like to now say, I'm sorry for the outburst, but to be honest I just feel that way.At the time when all Americans should be pulling together and buying American products that keep our folks working it burns me a little seeing you or any American buying goods from a commie state.It is a sure bet that you will delete this as soon as you read it and I can't blame you.I'd want to cover it up,and not be reminded also.Good uck to you.Please consider what I have said and try not to hate me for it.I'm old and remember too much that has gone on before. Bill
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense but you screwed yourself. I cowboy action shoot and have two original winchesters model 97's they were both purchased for $250 and $300. The norinco's I saw were as you described and had a $350 price tag. Anytime you can buy an original for less than a reproduction you will be money ahead. I have saw some really nice specimens of the win 97's that some people were really proud of judging from the $400-$450 price tags but i still think it would be worth your while to pay a little more for an original. My advice, dump the chinese crap on the first sucker you find and start searching the auctions and gun shows for a win 97 if you really want one.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't post this to be put-down, I asked advice, if you don't own one, or have anything positive to say, I wasn't asking you. Yea, I know its from China, and yea, I know its highly overpriced, but I can afford it, and you wouldn't believe how much of the stuff YOU own actually came from China too.Now, thank you guys for your unwanted oppinions. Anyone else planning on posting negative oppinions about my stuff, please keep it to yourselves, I'm not an idiot, you'd probably be telling me something I already know.If you actually OWN a Norinco 97, not have owned, and did something to improve upon its poor manufacturing, please feel free to post a reply.
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. unless your referring to the post above mine. I agree with his statement that as americans we should try to buy american when ever we can. The only point I was trying to make is that for what you paid you could have gotten an original winchester 97 and eliminated the problems of inferrior workmanship and quality. If that offends you in some way then I appologize, but I am still sticking with my reply.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's ok leeblackman. I have some offbreed guns also ,some I like and some I would like to sell back.I know nothing about the 97 just putting in mt 2 cents worth
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee,I dont own a '97 either, but from experiance I know you'll need to concentrate on your bearing surfaces, trigger, hammer, sear contact points, also where your slide rails engage the bolt. Just use some crockus cloth to polish them up, it shouldn't take much.P.S. Anyone wanting to "Throw Away" thier Brazilian made Springfields, German HK's or Pre-Ban Norinco AK's ... Just let me know, I'll meet you at the door and save you a trip!!!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.