In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem 597 22lr auto malf.

Dana DeanDana Dean Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a new 597 that really shoots,5-shots in .65 in. @50 yds with win PP HP.Having a few problems. With some ammo you pull trigger& light snaps with little primer indent,put in chamber again and it always fires.Think the extractor dosent quite go over rim.Also some times last shot bolt hold open not work.Any thoughts?Gun is clean.Thanks .DD

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a 597, have had jamming problems, but never the problem of it not hitting hard enough. What brand of ammo are you trying to use?If its some off brand stuff, just don't use it, there is plenty of other ammo out there, but if you useing the regular federal lightning or remington thunderbolt that you get a wallyworld and it still does it, you need to send it off to remington for warranty repair work.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    Honest to goodness...Lots of folks around here think I am a wizard at fixing .22 autos.I don't tell them that all I did was thoroughly clean the action and oil it.99% of the time that fixes it.I agree that the recent Remington .22 autos are something to be ashamed of. Get a Ruger or a Marlin, or maybe the new Thompson Center.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Egotistical Rogue, Evil, Dangerous Racist Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for imput.I think the light hits have been with promo rem thunderbolts(like win wildcats)have a win 94-22 and a NS522 target 22. the 522 shoots .30 in with fed gold. the win is also ex. shooter. was looking for cheap auto.I had 2 ruger 10-22s in 88. both were reliable,but shoot 1.5-2.5in@50yd.the floated tube on the 597 really groups,thanks.DD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just stoned and polished my bolt. I'm hopping it will help, I hope I'll get to go to the range tomarrow. I was really supprised at the unpolished parts of the bolt, it was obviously investement casted metal. I even took to the inside of the reciever. I'm thinking about having some replacement parts milled for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got thru diggin thru my Brownell's catalog and Volquartsen make a replacement hammer for the 597 thats supposed to reduce the felt trigger pull in half for $35. I think I might get one and see if it works.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    leeblackman,when I bought my 597 it had a heavy creepy trigger.I do a lot of trigger jobs on guns that you normally wouldn`t think you could, I shortened sear engagement and polished with hard Arkansas stone,while checking weight with electronic scales. Now its 3.5 lb. with just a hint of creep for safety of my boys.Shot gun two times with no problems.It likes win dynapoint for cheap stuff,hope this helps.DD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I am going to try that, I have all the proper stuff to. Do you remeber exactly how much you shortened the shear engagement? Anything else you particularly did I need to know. I figure that I might as well mess up the old one trying if I'm going to replace it anyway.Lee B. Blackman
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Take the bolt guide rods out to see if they have eaten the springs. Mine did and the bolt would not fully close, and was hard to tell. I figure mine was doing exactly what yours is doing because of that. By the way mine ate the springs because the inside guide rod broke in two. Just a thought.
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    leeblackman-whenI spoke of shortening sear engagement,I was talking of holding hammer in vise or in hand and freehand cutting with a 8in. file. You have to file it straight. Also I didn`t measure lenght, I cut off aprox 40% of its lenght.Also keep in mind if you cut it too far, it will be un safe.It was a 10 minute job,but I have ruined a few over the years. Finish with stone.You can always order a new hammer if mess up OOPS.DD