In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.300 WSM?

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Has anybody had any experience with this new cartridge? I know the ballistics are similar to the .300 WinMag, but why would you want a short action round over a long action round? Any hints or info would be greatly appreciated!Brian

Comments

• leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ooooh sweet, I can't wait to add one of these to my collection...No experience with it, but I was looking through some books and aparently the .300wsm gets about another 10fps with 180gr bullets using the exact same powder load thru the same gun, and about another 25flbs of energy over the .300win mag. Must have something to do witht he case neck incline.
  • luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the Remington .300 SAM (Short Action Ultra Mag)? Performance is the same as the .300 WSM, and Remington is chambering their Model 7 rifles for it. They are also producing a 7mm SAM version that equals 7mm Mag specs or better, but in a short action.Now, when they neck it down to 6.5mm - that's when I buy! A 6.5mm 160 gr. bullet over a short, efficient powder column, hitting 3200-3300 fps is my ideal cartridge for most anything on the N. American continent!!! I just hope I don't have to wait log or else I'll be wildcatting it!Oh, BTW, it seems that the case shape (short/fat vs. narrow/long make a significant difference in performance. Less powder volume, but in an efficient (s/f) configuration can produce similar or better velocity. And history has shown that the s/f cartridge configuration is better for accuracy as well.[This message has been edited by luger01 (edited 09-23-2001).]
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Luger,I hope they make at least two of those 6.5mm.I am gonna be in line right behind you.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was an article in Guns and ammo i believe, a couple months ago where they necked down a 300 wsm to about everything including a 22. I'm thinking of trading my citori off for one.
    "Protect the Right to Protect yourself"