In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uh Oh, I broke it!!!

will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I broke the decapping AND expander unit in my .308Win die. RCBS offers a replacement but I don't know which one to get. There is .30caliber and .30 caliber SB. Which one do I need?
If you run, you'll just die tired!

Comments

• Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your dies are marked SB, ( check the die &box)that is what you need otherwise standard. Iam no expert!
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They is marked RCBS 308WIN FL WStandard right?
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right. Standard.The Small Base (SB) dies are needed for min. spec. chambers and squeeze the cases down sufficiently for easy chambering. My pre-Armalite Eagle Arms Golden Eagle requires such dies.For any std. commercial hunting rifle or std. military rifle, standard dies are fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanx!!!!!
  • Options
    ranahanranahan Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'M NO DIE EXPERT, BUT THE SB DIES I USE, SIZE FOR MY .308 CARTRIGES THAT SHOOT THE SAME SIZE BULLETS AS .308 CARTIDGES SIZED BY REGULAR BASE DIES. "SB" REFERS TO THE DEMENSIN OF THE BASE OF THE DIE BODY ONLY, NOT THE DECAPPER-EXPANDER PLUG, WHICH HAS TO BE THE SAME DEMENSION IN BOTH DIES AS ALL THE TOP TREADS ARE THE SAME AND THEY'RE ALL FOR THE SAME BULLETS, SO NEED THE SAME NECK EXPANSION. THE FACT THAT THE CATALOG LISTS TWO DIFFERENT PINS IS PROBABLY JUST AN OVERSIGHT OF THE CATALOG EDITOR. ORDER BOTH AND I BET YOU GET TWO IDENTICAL PIECES. I HAVE BOTH REG. BASE AND SB .308 DIES (RCBS-SB, LYMAN-REG. BASE AND LEE REG. BASE) AND I INTERCHANGE THE PINS IN ALL OF THEM WHEN THEY BREAK.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will -Your terminology is not precise (must be that Kalifornia sun [grin], so there are two possible answers. If you broke the stem that screws into the top of the resizing die, it matters not which one you buy . . . this portion simply punches out the old primer and expands the neck to .308" +/- as you lower the ram. If it is the body of the die, you will need to replace it with the body type which corresponds to what you have now. FWIW, I'm not convinced of the value of SB dies for many people, but won't get into that here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I broke the rod through the middle. I went ahead and just ordered the standard decapping doohickey for .308. That ought to do it, brand new guts for my die! If only brain transplants for liberals were so easy!Thanx Guys! I'm back in business!
  • Options
    32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those who break RCBS die parts: Call RCBS, Customer Relations, 1-800-533-5000, and tell them what happened. They will send you a free replacement. If you reload, advise you to write this number down. RCBS stands (very close)behind their products....
  • Options
    32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those who break RCBS die parts: Call RCBS, Customer Relations, 1-800-533-5000, and tell them what happened. They will send you a free replacement. If you reload, advise you to write this number down. RCBS stands (very close)behind their products....
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    will,you sure you didn`t just break the little decapping pin,that comes out when you take the expander ball off the shaft?
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?