In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

California Laws?

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I know they are probably more than could be counted, but I have a guy in California that wants to buy a gun from me. What type of guns are not allowed for sale in California? I don't want to ship it out only to loose it or have to pay to ship it back.
Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!

Comments

• Options
    mbinkerdmbinkerd Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to this site: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/ then click on the roster of handguns certified for sale. From here you can input the make of the gun and click find. It will return all of the approved guns for that make.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Thanks!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25% might be a little high, if you consider that the ban distinguishes between all the different variations of a particular model, including the finish. I learned this the hard way when I tried to order a "blackened stainless" version of the Beretta 92. Though the 92 is on the approved list, this particular version isn't. What the finish of a gun has to do with safety is beyond me. There are many more examples like this. I've always wanted a Bersa .380 in stainless. No go, even though the blue and duo-tone versions are OK. Apparently, sending guns in for the test can be costly to the manufacturer and some have chosen not to send it every single version of a particular model. Some guns, as you know, have many different versions, the 92 being a perfect example. IMO, manufacturers should send in any and all of the guns they produce for testing, despite the cost. Nearly all are passing this bogus, stupid "test." Besides, there is a huge opportunity cost that these companies will incur if they don't. Being the most populous state in the U.S., we've got lots of potential buyers here. To me, it's just plain stupid that Keltec, for example, hasn't sent in their highly-regarded line of handguns for approval. Particularly with the current dirth of concealable, reliable handguns available in CA, Keltec's would sell like hotcakes. Well, here's hoping. The list of approved guns in growing each day. Thankfully, there are some ways around this asinine gun ban. Private-party tranfers of guns not on the list are legal, if you can hook up with an individual who has a gun you want. This hasn't been easy. As a result, many shops are selling guns on consignment. They are, of course, marked up considerably, but at least we have one way of getting the guns we want.As far as long guns are concerned, we are so limited it's not even funny. About the only autoloaders (not including .22's) that you can legally purchase in CA are the Mini 14/30, SKS, M1 carbine and special, CA-legal FAL-type .308's. That's it!!! You folks in other states should count your blessings. You're lucky to be where you are. If things don't change (they'll be getting worse), we just might be joining you!