In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Red Dot Scopes

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I've been looking for a new red dot scope. I would prefer to buy an older model especially if it was made in Japan. I've personally used some older Tasco Propoints and have been pleased with them overall. The main thing I was wondering concerns the "Dot Size" itself. It seems what the manufacturer list as the correct dot size isn't always the same between different manufacturers. As an example a 4" dot from one company may be larger or smaller than that same size listing from another. It seems to me that the Tascos run smaller in their listed dot size than ones from other companys ,while a Redfield runs larger. Does anyone know how some of the other manufactures scopes compare as far as their dot size goes. It can be frustrating to have a certain dot size in mind for a certain application only to have it be either to small or to large. Does anyone know first hand how the now discontinued "Smith & Wesson" red dot scopes fair both in quality as well as dot size goes. [?]
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    How long should a CR2032 battery last in a red dot scope last?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    for a 12 ga. slug gun.

cant afford a aimpoint right now. what will work for this years season

millett red dot

bushnell trophy red dot

truglo reddot
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want to put a scope on my 22 pistol. There seems to be a huge difference in prices. Granted, you get what you pay for (best case) but I can't afford $270. for a Leupold-Gilmore. I see that BSA, Busnell, and Tasco make scopes from around $80. - $150. Any recomendations?Thanks,Jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What do you experts like and or dislike about these little marvels of technology?

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have never turkey hunted...I will hunt in mississippi,louisiana,florida,Iowa,....Where can i find out if i can use a red dot scope..I bought a mossberg 835 with 24" barrel..I can buy a 42 MM simmons red dot on here for about 40.00 is it smart since I never turkey hunted before..And is the price a good one it is NIBHarleeman1030@aol.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I mounted a NCSTAR 45mm red dot on my 10/22. It works great and I can get much better groups with it than iron sights and also get faster first shots. The only thing bad about it was that when it is very sunny out the dot is hard to pickup, and it was on the max setting. Are there other red dot's out there that are brighter? Is there some tech spec that gives the brightness levels? Thanks, Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Could someone explain to me the difference between a 'Red Dot Scope' and a 'Regular Rifle Scope'. I have been told that a Red Dot does not magnify the way a regular scope does but is easier to use and sight with. I recently bought a .22cal Mossberg 715T for me and the grandkids to plink around with or hunt small game. I am 70 and have trouble using the fixed sights. Figured I would put on a scope or a red dot but don't know which would work better. Will not be doing any long distance shooting. Most everything will be under 50 yards, certainly not over 100. Is a Red Dot sighted in the same as a regular scope? I have seen some advertised that appear to be a combination of both. Looking for something inexpensive because I don't want to spend more on a scope than I did the gun, just to plink around with. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike S.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a LEupold Gilmore fro about $150-170 @ ebay if you are attentive and patient enough. Also, there is an ad in the shotgun news for them @ about $159.good luck,smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.
  • Options
    jacksvjacksv Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeff:If you want a like new Tasco Accudot in the box email me at:jsvoboda@mediaone.netThaes are made for Pistols or Rifles and weigh only 4.5 oz. I use them on my Model 41 and Model 13.Jack